Author Topic: Please help...computer is freezing after installing AVAST  (Read 10213 times)

mrsbuble73

Please help...computer is freezing after installing AVAST
« on: November 28, 2011, 01:45:07 PM »
Hello , I'm hoping someone can please help me with a problem I've had with my laptop since installing AVAST on Thursday.
I paid £29.99 for the total int security package. Installed it great, seemed to be working fine all day Thursday , then on Friday I got a pop up box saying free trial had expired ? I clicked it...my comp crashed ! When I re-started it there was a message saying windows had experienced an unexpected shut down and scanned by drive fr faults ..this seemed ok...then when I logged in my screen freezes after about 5 minutes ..the curser is like a little circle as though it's waiting or something but the whole system is unresponsive???
So I uninstalled AVAST ....did a system restore ....still the same....
My friend told me to run malware prog...I did this..it found nothing.....
I used to use mcafee ..and ive checked that all aspects of this are deleted from my pc

I run vista home premium  and the computer works fine in safe mode....

I an not IT savvy at all so if anyone can help me in simple terms that will be great......
My children need to use the laptop for school and I'm so frustrated with this situation now!!
So if anyone can help me I'd be Soooo grateful
Thanks so much
Rachel

rogo

Re: Please help...computer is freezing after installing AVAST
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 02:48:38 PM »
I had that problem once before.....now.....what you can do is boot into safe mode,there is a option to revert back to factory specks.....it will set your laptop back to the original state when you got it.....But you need to back up your files and software. It appears you may have some corrupted files so by reverting it back everything will be at its original state.

rogo

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 02:52:39 PM »
Here is a little bit more help:
=================================================================================================
Hold F10 at start up. When the recovery screen starts. Choose Advanced>Destructive Recovery>Follow the on screen prompts. Choosing Destructive Recovery will return your computer to factory specifications. What you did previously sounds like you did a repair of Windows which allows you to keep other files and, programs on your computer. Returning it to factory specifications will remove everything except what originally came with the computer. The recovery will take about an hour. Then go to Microsoft and, download all of the latest updates for your computer. This could take several more hours and, could require several restarts. After you have all the latest updates. Reinstall your anti-virus and, any other programs you want or, need. Avast, AVG or, Avira are free if you do not already have an anti-virus. Be sure to save any photos, music, or other files you want to keep to CD or, DVD before starting Destructive Recovery. Creating a restore point on your computer will go a long way in preventing you from having to do a destructive recover in the future. Once the Destructive Recovery is completed. Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore>Create a restore point>Next>Name the Restore point todays date>Create>Close. You should create a restore point about once a month. If in the future you need to restore your computer you can simply use any of the previous restore points. Start>All Programs>Accessories>System tools>System Restore>Restore My Computer to Previous Date>Choose Previous Restore Point>Next>Next.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 02:54:37 PM »
I don't know if you also ran the McAfee uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed. Check out this page for removal tool and instructions, http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507.

In restoring you may also have restores McAfee so you need to ensure it is uninstalled reboot, then run their uninstall tool, reboot and install the latest AIS version 6.0.1289 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe.

You will then need to apply the license file that you should have been sent:
How to register avast 6: AIS - see https://support.avast.com/index.php?languageid=1&group=eng&_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=652.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 02:57:34 PM »
I an not IT savvy at all so if anyone can help me in simple terms that will be great......

Welcome to the forum Rachel..!

1. Which version of AIS is installed..??
2. Which SP do you have on Vista..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

mrsbuble73

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 06:06:28 PM »

Welcome to the forum Rachel..!

1. Which version of AIS is installed..??
2. Which SP do you have on Vista..??

Thank you.....
I think its version 6...
and I'm running service pack 1 for Vista...

i don't think theres any Mcafee on there at all..
think i may have to do  factory revert?
this will take ages!!! ive so many pics on here! can i burn them to a CD in safe mode?

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 06:14:34 PM »
Have you run the uninstall tool for McAfee ? http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ 22a in the list, reboot after running and then try repairing avast through programs and features -double click avast and scroll down to repair and ok, reboot when finished, if that doesnt work try uninstalling avast and a reinstall.

mrsbuble73

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »
Have you run the uninstall tool for McAfee ? http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ 22a in the list, reboot after running and then try repairing avast through programs and features -double click avast and scroll down to repair and ok, reboot when finished, if that doesnt work try uninstalling avast and a reinstall.

Hi thx for the reply.....
ive tried the uninstall tool and i get a message when mcaffe loads saying error obtaining full permissions for clean up see log...the log then displays a note pad with the error message saying the process can not access the file because it is being used by another process?

ive re-installed avast today...works fine in safe mode but still the pc freezes in norm mode >:(

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »

ive tried the uninstall tool and i get a message when mcaffe loads saying error obtaining full permissions for clean up see log...the log then displays a note pad with the error message saying the process can not access the file because it is being used by another process?

ive re-installed avast today...works fine in safe mode but still the pc freezes in norm mode >:(
If you get a warning that it is being used by another process then there must still be McAfee installed, are you sure that it has been uninstalled from programs and features ? if you have removed from there then try running the removal tool in safe mode.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
Ahh i just remembered something! being that your using vista you have to right click the uninstall tool exe file and choose run as administrator

mrsbuble73

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 09:58:46 PM »
Have you run the install tool for McAfee ? http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ 22a in the list, reboot after running and then try repairing avast through programs and features -double click avast and scroll down to repair and ok, reboot when finished, if that doesnt work try uninstalling avast and a reinstall.

If you get a warning that it is being used by another process then there must still be McAfee installed, are you sure that it has been uninstalled from programs and features ? if you have removed from there then try running the removal tool in safe mode.

Hi,ive had no success in using the tool in safe mode...but tried in normal mode and yes there was files it said it was removing )although i cannot see where these are ANYWHERE on my pc!!...but then it froze and couldnt complete....
is there anyway of getting this to work in safe mode? this is prob what the prob is ..that there are some hidden mcaffe files??

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:03 PM »

Do you mean "Avast" is working under Windows Safe Mode? Or do you mean that the Windows" is working correctly in Windows Safe Mode?

Is it possible that we are calling "Safe Mode" to 2 different things?

BTW, the removal utilities should work better by booting into Windows Safe Mode and running them in those conditions (boot Windows Safe Mode -> right click on the removal utility -> "run as administrator").

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 08:42:25 AM »
Thank you.....
I think its version 6...
and I'm running service pack 1 for Vista...

Please update your Vista to SP2..!!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0