Author Topic: Some files are password protected and cannot be scanned  (Read 10624 times)

KNRover

Re: Some files are password protected and cannot be scanned
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 08:42:59 PM »
Don't know what Adobe would have to do with putting a password on archived system restore files.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 09:29:29 PM »
If the original files were password protected, then as an when those are included in a restore point they too would be password protected.

So if you update or uninstall or delete a file/application and that had elements which were password protected that password protected would be in the restore point (that is the whole point of system restore to make copied of changed/removed certain files, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

KNRover

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 10:08:48 PM »
I found the answer to the issue at techguy.org, the tech support forum I use 90% of the time when I have a technical issue. Turns out something (??) changed the permissions for the System Volume Information folder, removing me as having permission to open it. I had to use Safe Mode to access the Security tab under Folder Options to change the permissions to "Everyone", but that solved the problem; Avast! now scans that folder and I get no "Some files could not be scanned" messages.

Thanks to all who contributed to this now solved issue.

ady4um

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 10:54:27 PM »
That may "solve" the question (if you think you really solved something), but giving permissions to "Everyone" to the System Volume Information folder is not a good idea.

Why do you have the impression (or do you think) that these permissions were granted for "Everyone" before this "something" changed them? I mean, are you sure those were the security properties before this "problem" showed up?

KNRover

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
Have no idea what the security was on that folder for the 3+ years I've had the computer... and frankly don't care. I'm the only person who uses the computer, so giving "everyone" access to the System Volume Information folder means that I'm the only one who will access it.

ady4um

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 11:18:43 PM »
so giving "everyone" access to the System Volume Information folder means that I'm the only one who will access it.

Wrong. "Everyone" means any type of user, even "guest". Instead of "Everyone", you could call it "Anyone, no matter what".

System Information Volume folders are very restricted. Only the real "Administrator" account (not the group) and above can even *read* it. Lower level users that those don't even have reading permissions. So giving "full" permissions to "Everyone" is not something I would recommend (maybe some techguy would; it's up to you to follow it or not).

Here is my point: you think you "solved" something (that was not originally really a problem) by lowering your security barriers.

Is like saying: "I don't like that have to turn the knob to open my front door, so I'll just leave it open 24/7".