Author Topic: Definitions and/or program, cannot update?  (Read 14671 times)

EAGLEWI

Definitions and/or program, cannot update?
« on: November 29, 2011, 04:21:56 AM »
Hello,

Yesterday afternoon I received a popup message saying the last update attempt was unsuccessful.  I tried manually updating the definitions and the program.  Neither worked, and this symptom is still active.  The progess bar moves a very little bit then stops.

Program version: 6.0.1289
Definitions version: 111127-0
Subscription valid till: 5/8/2013

There do not appear to be any other issues.  Where would be a good place to start looking for the cause and cure?

iyogisolutions1

Re: Definitions and/or program, cannot update?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 04:54:01 AM »
Hi,

First make sure that your system date and time is correct. Then try again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
@ EAGLEWI
You say neither worked in the manual update attempts, what errors did you get ?

What is your Operating System and firewall ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:46:11 PM »
Reboot and let it update by itself, when Avast is ready. If there is no definitions update ATTEMPT after some time (it may take several minutes, so be patient), check Avast maintenance -> update and post the resulting error shown.

sartorius

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:40:03 PM »
Hello,

I am having the same problem as EAGLEWI and would like to describe it in more details, but I can't figure out how to insert screen captures.  When I click on the icon "insert image", I only get the letters "img" (between brackets) in my text.  Could someone tell me how to download the screen captures and put it where I want in my text?

Thank you!

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »
To the left of the "post - preview" buttons, you have "aditional options for attachments.

EAGLEWI

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 03:42:26 AM »
Hi,    First make sure that your system date and time is correct. Then try again.

They are

EAGLEWI

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 03:46:11 AM »
@ EAGLEWI
You say neither worked in the manual update attempts, what errors did you get ?
What is your Operating System and firewall ?

Error message is the red avast! popup message that says

"The last attept to update your virus definitions was unsuccessful. To ensure you are protected from the latest threats, try again to update your virus definitions now"

OS is Win 7, FW is what is in avast! and Win 7
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 03:48:12 AM by EAGLEWI »

EAGLEWI

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 03:47:22 AM »
Reboot and let it update by itself, when Avast is ready. If there is no definitions update ATTEMPT after some time (it may take several minutes, so be patient), check Avast maintenance -> update and post the resulting error shown.

It's been over two days with several re-boots, waits, and manual attempts.  Not working yet

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 03:49:25 AM »
Hi EAGLEWI

Please try this

avast! GUI -> Settings (top right corner)-> Troubleshooting-> Updates-> make the settings for both
1)Engine and virus definition
2)Program updates

Automatic update

For update parameters : My computer is always connected to internet

Proxy settings: Direct connection (no proxy).

Then please don't forget to click "ok" there

Try to update the program and reply back..

Hope this will work.

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 04:06:50 AM »

It's been over two days with several re-boots, waits, and manual attempts.  Not working yet

My intention was that you should reboot after the repair / reinstallation / manual update / complete VPS update.

That is, attempt to update, wait for a couple of minutes, review the info at avast main GUI -> maintenance -> update (it will tell you when the last update was attempted and what was the result), and the reboot.

Only after the reboot, you might get "real" info in the main GUI of Avast.

Please report back after following the suggestions given in several posts in this topic. If it doesn't work, there might be additional steps to try.

After you reboot, wait at least 10 minutes to review the update info, and don't force the updates (let it update when Avast can, in "automatic" mode).

EAGLEWI

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 04:47:07 AM »
Hi EAGLEWI
Please try this
avast! GUI -> Settings (top right corner)-> Troubleshooting-> Updates-> make the settings for both
1)Engine and virus definition
2)Program updates
Automatic update
For update parameters : My computer is always connected to internet
Proxy settings: Direct connection (no proxy).
Then please don't forget to click "ok" there
Try to update the program and reply back..
Hope this will work.

Set per your suggestions.  No change. 

EAGLEWI

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 04:48:52 AM »

My intention was that you should reboot after the repair / reinstallation / manual update / complete VPS update.
That is, attempt to update, wait for a couple of minutes, review the info at avast main GUI -> maintenance -> update (it will tell you when the last update was attempted and what was the result), and the reboot.
Only after the reboot, you might get "real" info in the main GUI of Avast.
Please report back after following the suggestions given in several posts in this topic. If it doesn't work, there might be additional steps to try.
After you reboot, wait at least 10 minutes to review the update info, and don't force the updates (let it update when Avast can, in "automatic" mode).

Rebooting now.  Will check in 10 or 15 minutes

And thanks to all for your continued assistance.  I appreciate it

EAGLEWI

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 05:18:59 AM »
20+ minutes after reboot.  Auto update did not occur, manual update did not work.  Tested a WIN XP netbook with avast! that was installed on the same day as the deskyop system.  Not only has it been auto updating, but manual updating showed a new program version. Downloaded and installed just fine.

Is there a way to manually install the newer program in the hopes that will fix it? 

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 05:33:07 AM »
Hi,

If that is the case, then we need to reinstall avast! from scratch.

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
       You can download it from http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe
2. Download the latest avast! version that you have purchased and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel. Reboot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. Reboot after you run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Check the status and post back with the results.