Author Topic: Eicar?  (Read 16017 times)

Neron

Eicar?
« on: November 19, 2004, 01:07:53 PM »
What does eicar test fail mean.It tests if the av is working?Is this save?What to do to test it

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Eicar?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 01:13:02 PM »
Yes,this is a test sample. Antivirus should react to its presence as on real virus detection. Its used to check if and how antivirus intercepts the file.
Its also 100% safe since it only contains specific pattern and not a real viral code.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Neron

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 01:17:20 PM »
Thanks but after i clisk on it and my avast reacts shud i delete something or ...?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 01:25:31 PM »
Yes,you can use Delete/Move-Rename/Move to Chest
This way you'll also see how avast! works on virus detections.
You can play around with EICAR whatever you like.
You'll learn how avast! handles files with specific commands and what kind of messages you might encounter. Its like a safe learning method :)

Delete command will delete the eicar,Move will move it to .\avast!\moved and Move to Chest will move it to quarantine (which can be accessed from Simple Interface).

Neron

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 01:32:19 PM »
And so what to do.I onlu should click on it and everything is automatic or X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

I need to copy this(i don't understand where to copy this text and waht to name eicar.com and what to do next
scan with avast or everything should be done automatic?

whocares

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 01:40:15 PM »
You can directly download the file eicar.COM from www.eicar.com ;)

Neron

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 01:48:15 PM »
Important note: text link button cannot be held responsible when these files or your AV scanner in combination with these files cause any damage to your computer. You download these files at your own risk. Download these files only if you are sufficiently secure in the usage of your AV scanner. text link button cannot and will not provide any help to remove these files from your computer. Please contact the manufacturer/vendor of your AV scanner to seek such help.
Download area
eicar.com

eicar.com.txt

eicar_com.zip

eicarcom2.zip

How to delete the test file from your PC

We understand (from the many emails we receive) that it might be difficult for you to delete the test file from your PC. After all, your scanner believes it is a virus infected file and does not allow you to access it anymore. At this point we must refer to our standard answer concerning support for the test file. We are sorry to tell you that EICAR cannot and will not provide AV scanner specific support. The best source to get such information from is the vendor of the tool which you purchased. Please contact the support people of your vendor. They have the required expertise to help you in the usage of the tool. Needless to say that you should have read the user's manual first before contacting them.

Oh!I think i will not check my av.You download these files at your own risk. Download these files only if you are sufficiently secure in the usage of your AV scanner. text link button cannot and will not provide any help to remove these files from your computer.I wont risk.

peterfu

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 01:54:32 PM »
Neron,

thats all legal staff - I've used Eicar for so many times and never ever had any harm or problem on one of my computers - if You have problems to delete them, then turn off  Standard Shield and You are able to access these files.
Problem with deleting is cause Your AV should reject that You access them.
Anyway - if You try to download them ans save them Avast will reject (of course depending on Your settings) to store them.

br
Peter

PS : if You want to send them, then send me a private message I'll give You my mail adress to test - anyway if Avast is set up correct You will not be able to send it    ;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 01:57:12 PM by peterfu »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 01:55:24 PM »
Eh blabla (that warning is just for those who want to sue everyone everywhere) every AV i encountered was able to remove it without any tiny complications. It also cannot harm you PC in any way.

Neron

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 01:58:21 PM »
so to click on eicar.com or txt. file

peterfu

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 02:05:14 PM »
Yes - click on Eicar.com

I have done it now and Avast immediatly shows up a virus warning

br
Peter

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2004, 02:06:03 PM »
Usually .COM version is the best one. .TXT is usually displayed directly in browser,and many AVs don't scan archives On-Access.
I nearly always test with .COM only.

Neron

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2004, 02:13:20 PM »
Oh.I've downloaded it with mozzila firefox but no warning message was shown.when i scanned the file there camed up a warning for a virus in the computer and succesfully deleted it but...I haven't changed any settings after install.why my avast didn't stop the download procces :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

peterfu

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 02:17:59 PM »
Hi Nero,

What are Your Standard Shield settings ?

I use Firefox and open it directly or saving it gives immediate warning

br
Peter

Neron

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 02:22:45 PM »
How to view the settings.go to on-acces scaner more details standart shield and then...?