Author Topic: Uninstalling Spotify in sandbox - false positive?  (Read 2481 times)

masono

Uninstalling Spotify in sandbox - false positive?
« on: December 02, 2011, 11:56:29 AM »
Hi,

Trying to uninstall Spotify Avast warns me running uninstall.exe can be dangerous and I should open in sandbox..which I do, and the uninstaller runs and says complete...but it doesn't uninstall - I can still open as normal. Is this a false alert and am I safe to uninstall outside of Sandbox?

Have read similar posts here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=72495.0 and here http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=117861 amongst others but they all seem to be having problems with Zone Alarm and can't even run Spotify...

To clarify - I can run Spotify fine, just can't uninstall from sandbox.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Uninstalling Spotify in sandbox - false positive?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 12:04:02 PM »
It is just the fact that the uninstall behaviour is seen in the avast emulator and is warning you as it is effectively trying to delete files/folders/registry entries, etc. it is just another level of protection. You don't have to run it sandboxed.

The autosandbox process is controlled in the first instance by the file system shield (FSS), the suspect.exe file is scanned before it is allowed to run. If it were infected, it could/should be detected by the FSS, so one reasonable thing in its favour is it hasn't had a definitive detection.

However, the FSS checks other things amongst those a) is the file digitally signed, b) its location and what it does (this is done in the emulation check). these can trigger a suspicion and it is this suspicion that results in the recommendation to use the autosandbox.

Now the user can accept this decision and run it in the autosandbox or have it run normally and to Remember the answer for this program. Provided of course you are familiar with the program and that it is clean and of course that you intentionally initiated the program.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

masono

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
Thanks very much!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:14:55 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security