Author Topic: Avast! update affecting shields  (Read 5411 times)

Offline bobby1981

Avast! update affecting shields
« on: December 03, 2011, 09:28:31 PM »
Bit odd, this.  Absolutely no problems with the program until I updated it to 6.0.1367, and now the shields keep deactivating until I reactivate.  I first noticed when I woke my computer from sleep mode, and just now after doing a general boot scan of my system once again they were off.  From sleep mode they wouldn't switch back on until I restarted my computer, from boot scan they did.

The problem is not my computer for two reasons - first of all I've done comprehensive scans with avast! (after switching the shields back on), SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, Spybot and Microsoft Security Essentials, all clean, and secondly (and most importantly) as stated, there was no issue prior to the update, and as SOON as I've updated it's began happening.  Very annoying.

As far as I can see if I don't use sleep mode/boot scans and the like and just load my computer normally there's no issue.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast! update affecting shields
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 09:34:27 PM »
Do you have MSE installed..? If so drop it.
I would also drop Spybot..!
OS..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline bobby1981

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 09:36:22 PM »
Why would you drop them?

I use Windows 7 (x64).  As said up until this update no problems whatsoever.  I updated avast! last night, shut my computer off afterwards and it's been happening from today.  Too much of a coincidence.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 09:49:42 PM »
Why would you drop them?

1. MSE: Never run 2 AVs. Problems may occur.
2. Spybot is outdated and also known for troubles with avast!.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline bobby1981

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 09:56:04 PM »
Even so, they've not had any bearing on this particular issue before (and they are only run occasionally).

Anyway, like now, once the avast! shields are on (and I don't use sleep mode or boot scan) they stay on like they always did prior.  Bit of a weird bug.  I hope it gets patched although nobody else seems to be having it, which kind of decreases the chances.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 09:59:48 PM »
Well, it's up to you what to do anyway. ;)

Gargamel360

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 10:15:43 PM »
Bit of a weird bug.  I hope it gets patched although nobody else seems to be having it, which kind of decreases the chances.

Its not a bug.....its incompatible design.  So there will be no patch, because there is nothing to fix.  You should not have 2 on-access always running AVs on your PC....ask anyone at MS, they will tell you they same thing.  You are free to try, of course.  And as you experienced, it may sometimes even work, for extended periods of time.  But it is inevitable you will have problems.

Thats not even the important part.....by having 2 AVs  you risk the chance that if an infection happens, your 2 AVs will try a virtual tug-of-war over who gets to take charge of the infector.....actually leaving you less secure, not more.

Offline bobby1981

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 10:59:03 PM »
It just seems strange that I had no issue until the latest update (I should also add the others are only set to activate when I do it manually, as opposed to real-time scanning).  But ah well, I'll have to see if I get rid of one or not.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 11:04:27 PM »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 11:19:22 PM »
Sometimes I wonder why some guys ask, when they don't like our answers...!!! ;D

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 11:57:02 PM »
A simple possibility for you to test. Since you seem to be concern about some relation between the definitions update and the shields, maybe you should wait for a couple of definitions updates more in Avast so to do someting about it. It may be resolved with a future update.

To be clear, I'm not saying you *should*. It may or may not help. It's up to you to follow the suggestions that previous posters gave you (which I share with them), or to test this for a couple of days.

DonZ63

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 02:23:46 AM »
You can have as many anti-malware software installed as you desire. However, only one should be active as for real time fuctions such as Avast shields perform.

Also some real-time anti-malware can run concurrently as long as each has the proper exclusions. Example - MBAM Pro and Avast! can run real time OK as long as the proper exclusions are added to each. Also Windows Defender real time can co-exist with most other real time software without conflict. Note that concurrent real time malware scanners can have a signifigant impact of your system performance depending on your hardware configuration.

Turn off MSE real time feature and see if that solves your issues. You can then use MSE for a second opinion batch malware scanner.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 02:34:28 AM »
disabling MSE is not good enough to avoid conflict

Never install two antivirus (see reply from quietman7)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?s=7c8217673a726b92cfc91ecfd4294a29&showtopic=260844&view=findpost&p=1441638

Offline bobby1981

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 03:44:53 PM »
Sometimes I wonder why some guys ask, when they don't like our answers...!!! ;D
Oh, don't get me wrong, I was just trying to clarify - I don't mind uninstalling software if it helps.  I decided I would do that, but first decided to uninstall the program and re-install the newer version, just in case (more like a precaution).  Curiously since that time I've not had this error appear, I have no idea why.  I still might uninstall one of the other program's anyway in case it's a coincidence, but that's a little odd!  Aaah, computers, eh.