Author Topic: Scanning messages  (Read 24912 times)

S.Z.Craftec

Re:Scanning messages
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2004, 11:21:30 PM »
OK, just to be sure, this is how your window should look after setting ADVANCED tab in your avast! Internet Mail provider...

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2004, 11:26:20 PM »
Now, do the same thing in your Outlook Express... Go to TOOLS / Accounts... Choose PROPERTIES of your e-mail account. Go to ADVANCED tab and you'll see this what you can see on my screenshot...

Set Timeout to 2 or 3 minutes. Restart your computer and try to send something again.

NOTE: Of course you have to do that for each e-mail account that you have defined in your Outlook Express.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2004, 11:27:38 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2004, 02:00:18 AM »
And now it would begreat if you inform us, did that solve your problem. It would be good for some future reference...  ;)

Cheers !

gang4art

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2004, 04:18:34 PM »
Sorry it's been couple days since this problem I am having. throughout the weekend I close the avast and send my e-mails. The thing that you ask me to do above, I did and
still the same problem.
As I told you before as soon as I click to send botton on my outlook express the icon appears at the corner "65.182.209.209" and same things all over...

I had no problem sending emails with attachments when I close avast. Can you tell me what the the other causes would be...?

Thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2004, 04:21:16 PM »
Is the problem still there with the latest update? (4.5.531)

gang4art

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2004, 04:24:51 PM »
Yes sir

I uninstall the avast and install again today.
Everything is up to date
As soon as I "stop on access protection" email sends problem solves.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 04:30:14 PM by gang4art »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2004, 04:36:56 PM »
What is exactly your avast! program version ? I'm sure you are not using latest 4.5.531 version, 'cause it's still in beta phase and there is no chance to update it using normal PROGRAM UPDATE feature in avast. Especialy, not by uninstalling and reinstalling avast! It will install latest version of avast! that is not BETA (4.5.523 - old one). You need to try beta to see if it's going to solve your problems... You should do this, follow VLK's advice on how to install 4.5.529 version first:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9007

After that, you'll have to restart your PC. When you come back to Windows again, invoke normal program update to 4.5.531 version from avast! menu and restart Windows again (normal procedure, 'cause it's new program update). See if that helps...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 04:39:20 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

gang4art

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2004, 06:23:07 PM »
It didn't help either my friend.
Still same icon at the bottom and timeout thing.
Can you at least tell me what that icon means please???

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2004, 06:47:51 PM »
That icon means that your e-mail is being scanned. That's normal and you should see that icon everytime when your mail is scanned.

Other problem is still there, timming out... well, I really don't know what to advise you any more. We tried everything that helped to some other people in these forums. Can you tell me what's the number of avast program build you are using right now ?

Go to avast! blue ball icon in your system tray and right click it. From the menu choose about avast. Post back everything that says inisde...

Cheers !

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2004, 06:51:56 PM »
Also, post exactly what is your configuration... which OS are you using (I suppose it's Windows XP from the screenshot), what is your e-mail client that gives you those problems, what other security programs have you installed, any anti-spam software, what is your firewall (I guess it's ZoneAlarm if that screenshot is actual screenshot of your desktop and not some picture taken somwhere from the net just to show it as example... everything is possible, so I have to ask)... all those questions and your answers could give us a clue what to try next...

Also, what are those settings for your e-mail accounts in Outlook Express (I guess you are using OE). When I say settings, I mean SMTP and POP3 server names, and your logging name. Exactly what does it say in your Outlook Express e-mail settings... post back and we'll see from there...

EDIT: Do you have your avast! ashMaiSv.exe service allowed to access the internet in ZoneAlarm ? If ZoneAlarm is blocking that service, it's normal that you can not access your mails...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 06:58:50 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2004, 07:07:39 PM »
Take a good look in here... I posted screenshot of application rules in my firewall. I'm using Sygate 5.6, but that's not the point. The point is, no matter which firewall you are using, you have to give ashMaiSv.exe asaccess in your firewall. Take a good look and you'll notive that ashMaiSv.exe is ALLOWED to access the internet on my PC.

Just for the fun of it, leave your mail scanner running, without terminating internet mail provider in avast! On-Access Scanner, and completely turn of your firewall (ZoneAlarm). Now, open your Outlook Express and send some mail with attachment to yourself. That way you can see is it going out and is it going to come back, in other words, you'll see is your outgoing and incomming mail working or not. If that works fine, then I'm 100% sure, you have that problem because your ashMaiSv.exe process is not allowed to access the internet in your firewall...

You still didn't post any of those e-mail account settings I asked you to post... I still don't know are your account settings properly set in your e-mail client... you have to understand that you have to help us if you expect us to help you with this problem...

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 09:12:51 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

gang4art

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2004, 09:05:53 PM »
here it is

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2004, 09:16:41 PM »
OK, now we are sure that you have latest update installed... but, still, you didn't answer those questions I posted in my previous reply to you...

- settings in your e-mail client for all those e-mail accounts you have
- did you try to completely shut down ZoneAlarm and then try to send e-mail with attachments ? Be sure that avast! internet mail provider is running (don't shut it off), 'cause we wanna eliminate the cause of the problem...

gang4art

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2004, 09:22:38 PM »
here are the things that you asked for
and zone-alarm it was from my computer
I closed the zone alarm and send the message again.
same thing time curruption... >:(

gang4art

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2004, 09:23:11 PM »