Author Topic: MPC-HC slow to start due to Avast  (Read 2539 times)

blued

MPC-HC slow to start due to Avast
« on: November 30, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
Hi,

Whenever I use Media Player Classic HC, it is slow to start (a few seconds). I have determined it is due to Avast Free scanning the program as it starts. When I disable the scan program when executing, it opens instantly. This since v6.0.1289. Have updated to 1367 but same issue. Thanks.

btw, is there a way to exclude only MPC-HC from being scanned rather than disabling scanning of all programs when executing?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:14:06 PM by blued »

kvl

Re: MPC-HC slow to start due to Avast
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »
are you using Comodo Firewall?

may be Defense+ conflicts with Avast

you found out Defense+'s logging that you can see a "AvastSvc.exe" event close to "MPC-HC.exe" event

you need set "AvastSvc.exe" to "installer or Updater" (in Comodo Defense+)

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
btw, is there a way to exclude only MPC-HC from being scanned rather than disabling scanning of all programs when executing?

In the File System Shield, you could add the relevant exception / exclusion to the specific executable file.

To be clear, I am NOT recommending this. I am just answering to your technical question.

blued

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »
To kvl, I'm not using Comodo firewall. :)

To ady4um, I think I got it. I had seen the exclusion tab in the file system shield options but had figured it only applied to the regular scans avast does and by folder/directory exclusion rather than specific programs. Anyway I excluded the directory mpc-hc is in and it seems to have worked, its functioning normally now. Thanks.  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:58:12 AM »
had figured it only applied to the regular scans avast does and by folder/directory exclusion rather than specific programs.
avast can exclude both folders AND single files/executables, just set the right path for them.
The best things in life are free.