Author Topic: Malicious mail traffic  (Read 3257 times)

rogotoda

Malicious mail traffic
« on: December 01, 2011, 01:58:39 PM »
Hello guys!

I recently installed the avast for Mac because I was having some problems with Mail program. It seems that the Mail software was sending unauthorized emails to many of my contact list I did a full system scan and the avast didn't find anything but the Mail is still sending unwanted emails to all contacts in my address book. What can I do to stop this annoyance?

Best Regards,
Roberto

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Malicious mail traffic
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 02:51:26 PM »
I did a full system scan and the avast didn't find anything but the Mail is still sending unwanted emails to all contacts in my address book. What can I do to stop this annoyance?

First note, that the avast! mailshield scans only incoming traffic, not outgoing, so it can't help you in this case.

Some steps you can do to find out what is going on
  • Install wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/) and capture traffic to TCP port 25 on your network interface. You should see the "unwanted" mail traffic there.
  • When you detect such a traffic, run lsof -i as root to get the originator of the traffic
  • Finaly send us the originator so we can analyze it  ;)

Amy In Sea

Re: Malicious mail traffic
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 05:33:55 AM »
*sigh*  I do so wish I understood anything you said, as I am having the same problem.  I can download wireshark, but I don't have any idea what "capture traffic to TCP port 25" means.  I have no idea what "lsof-i as root" means, and I have no clue how to send the originator.

Is there a translator for us older types who didn't even have computers in our schools?