Author Topic: Latest avast update causes XP booting problems  (Read 13610 times)

Dreadwing

Latest avast update causes XP booting problems
« on: December 01, 2011, 06:18:20 PM »
Booted up my computer this morning, was advised that new update for avast was available. Clicked yes, everything seemed to go OK, avast requested restart, I clicked yes.

System rebooted, got as far as showing my desktop, but icons, taskbar, etc never appeared. hit restart, but computer would not even start first time, second time was able to boot into safe mode, checked avast, warning message reads 'unsecured' and Fix Now button doesn't work

Am running windows XP SP3, ZoneAlarm firewall

iyogisolutions1

Re: Latest avast update causes XP booting problems
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:30:16 PM »
Hi

Welcome to avast forum.

Please make sure that your computer doesn't have any other security software in it.It is not recommended to have more than one security software in the computer at the same time. It will cause conflicts in your computer which will seriously compromise your computer's performance. Hope you got our point.

I recommend you to remove the Zonealarm Firewall.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 06:38:48 PM »
Am running windows XP SP3, ZoneAlarm firewall

Drop ZA.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Daris

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:04:34 AM »
There has been discussions here on the forum with Avast and Zone Alarm firewall having issues previously, not sure if this has been fixed....I am running Avast 6 alongside PC Tools Firewall 7 with no restrictions nor exclusions on neither side, on XP SP3 ...for about 2 years now or so with no problems whatsoever. PC Tools Firewall is very simple, light on resources and a very small download, although it was 1 of the best on the Matousec Firewall Tests....Others here may suggest different firewalls that go well alongside Avast if you decide to switch firewalls.
Cheers and safe surfing!!!!

bones1229

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 05:52:43 AM »
I have the same problem.  Updated AVAST rebooted and get warning message reads 'unsecured' and Fix Now button which doesn't work.  No internet access now,  when I check hardware in system properties there is nothing in the list,  everything gone sound card, video, ethernet all gone.

Go to system restore --  All gone.

I'm only using Avast free and windows XP firewall.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 05:55:18 AM by bones1229 »

bobo1

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 10:34:41 AM »
bones 1229,
Have all your system restore points vanished? after updating avast? & what sp are you on? should be SP3! FOR AVAST NOW::)
Try re booting by pressing F8 on swiching on computer and select last known configuration and restore from there.
Did you have any other antivirus previous to avast?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:41:41 AM by bobo1 »

inspectorman

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »
Yep - another dead XP machine here after upgrading the program. Fully patched XP with Outpost Pro Firewall. In safe mode, current version, release date and number of definitions all unknown. Thanks guys....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:59:30 AM »
Same basic system spec as mine and not an issue.

If you care to expand on your problem then perhaps we can help, otherwise we are helpless.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bones1229

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 12:39:19 PM »
I have XP SP3, have tried Safe mode and Yes all Restore points have vanished. I also checked my services and they are all disabled.  Cant even plug in a memory stick to the usb. And No I did not have any other A/V installed prior to this,  have used Avast only for years.

Will try the Last Knonw Config now and report back.

bones1229

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
Well I rebooted and went in F8 and chose 'Last Known Config.'  and still the same.

Maybe I'll have to save all my personnel data and rebuild the old girl.

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »
Please try deleting your firewall rules and reboot. Wait 10 minutes after the reboot before confirming the info about the update.

Please report back.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 04:43:08 PM by ady4um »

bones1229

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 08:32:59 PM »
When I go into Windows Firewall i get reply message " Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. Do you want to start it.....   Yes/No...."   I answer Yes and get " Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/ICS service."

bobo1

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 09:08:57 PM »
If you can get into safe mode hitting F8 at startup remove avast, and reboot into normal mode.

1.In RUN BOX TAB. Type sfc/scannow and you may need xp sp3 cd rom to repair and rebuild the windows files/drivers.
I am on windows xp sp3 and using windows basic firewall and have no issues whatsoever.
Try a run with malwarebytes free to check for any spyware?
2. Have a look in device manager to see if any devices are in yellow ie not configured.
You should be able to rebuild windows that way
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:11:12 PM by bobo1 »

Dreadwing

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 11:32:46 PM »
I was able to solve my problem by booting into safe mode and uninstalling avast using 'add/remove programs'. My computer then started up normally, and then I re-installed avast, and so far no problems at all. May have just been a corrupted update.

hake

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 12:07:58 AM »
I'm not being smug but my Windows XP Pro SP3 runs perfectly with 6.0.1367.  I had an issue with Sandboxie 3.62 which has now been uninstalled pending enquiries.  I run Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 7.5.1 and run it with realtime spyware detection and Web Control both enabled, choosing not to tick the Avast compatibility option at installation, thus enjoying the best of both the Avast! and Agnitum worlds.  Will this state of grace continue?  Who knows?

I have a hunch that Windows is susceptible to unrealised damage through such events as system halts during critical operations which leaves the system in an ambiguous state and thus prone to misbehaving.  The blame typically falls on the first software installation to expose the effects of the problem which remains unidentifiable.

That my XP tolerates the update to 6.0.1367 when others do not reinforces my hunch.  The only remedy is to reinstall the system.  Strangely, my present installation of XP which dates from May 2008 has had infuriating spells of misbehaviour then suddenly seemed to pull itself together and now behaves immaculately.  Windows can self heal it seems.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :(