Author Topic: Soft reboot when locating phone  (Read 7521 times)

busbutt

Soft reboot when locating phone
« on: December 01, 2011, 09:56:08 PM »
I installed Theft Aware on a HTC Hero phone running a custom ROM (based on CyanogedMod 6.2/Android 2.2). When I try to locate the phone via SMS, my phone soft-reboots (straight to the boot animation). I looked over the old forum, and found a post with a similar issue:

https://forum.avast.com/offline/forum.theftaware.com/viewtopice36e.html

I was wondering if any progress has been made to resolve this since March? I also installed a similar app - Cerberus - and it is able to perform a location query without causing a soft reboot on the same phone, so I know that my phone is capable of doing this. I prefer Theft Aware to Cerberus and would like to purchase it, but not until I know it works :)

Offline tcntad

• Avast Überevangelist
Re: Soft reboot when locating phone
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 03:34:23 PM »
I had some issues with webremote not sending/applying commands when i was running a custom mod on my X10 Mini Pro but sms commands did work..

Might be abit like the issues I had unfortunately. Didnt really bother to find a solution but someone here might figure one out.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:18:19 AM »
hello we can not reproduce any such issues. as our software is not causing any soft reboots except for the REBOOT SMS command, i still think that this might be an issue with the ROM. maybe our next update will solve this issue, will come out very soon.

I installed Theft Aware on a HTC Hero phone running a custom ROM (based on CyanogedMod 6.2/Android 2.2). When I try to locate the phone via SMS, my phone soft-reboots (straight to the boot animation). I looked over the old forum, and found a post with a similar issue:

https://forum.avast.com/offline/forum.theftaware.com/viewtopice36e.html

I was wondering if any progress has been made to resolve this since March? I also installed a similar app - Cerberus - and it is able to perform a location query without causing a soft reboot on the same phone, so I know that my phone is capable of doing this. I prefer Theft Aware to Cerberus and would like to purchase it, but not until I know it works :)

busbutt

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 10:47:54 PM »
Since logging this issue, I have managed to execute a successful GPS locate on the phone with Theft Aware. I am wondering whether a reboot of the phone after installing the software fixed the issue? Right now I am not sure whether this problem is likely to occur at random, or whether the first reboot was an isolated one-off. My trial is about to expire as well, so I am not sure I will ever know unless I go ahead and buy the software on faith ???

reinhardholzner

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:39:29 AM »
hi busbutt - lets talk about it tomorrow ;-)