Author Topic: Very Very Slow Full system scan  (Read 3265 times)

Jorlando96

Very Very Slow Full system scan
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:00:51 PM »
Hi All, when i go to do a full system scan as usual, it is very slow. when i start it, it is running at 100- 200 MB per second steady. then after a couple minutes, it starts to steadily decline. right now its around 10 MB per second and below. My specs are: Samsung R780, Windows 7, Intel I5 processor, and 8 GB of ram. i really have no idea what i am supposed to do.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Very Very Slow Full system scan
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:24:06 PM »
some info here you may want to read....also see reader comments

https://blog.avast.com/2010/04/25/how-to-make-the-full-system-scan-6x-faster-in-10-days/

Jorlando96

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:35:51 PM »
i read that and i am not quite sure what it is exactly telling me to do... any suggestions?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 10:41:28 PM »
did you read the very last......

Tip: to make the Full System Scan even faster, configure it to actually take advantage of the persistent cache. To do this, open the Full System Scan details, click the Settings button and check the box “Speed up scanning by using the persistent cache” on the Performance page.

Jorlando96

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 10:42:41 PM »
Oh wow, i feel dumb. must have skipped over it. thanks a ton

Jorlando96

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 10:46:15 PM »
okay, i started the scan again, and it hit around 200 MB then it just dropped off again and is at a slow decline. i have no idea why

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »
also at the bottom

Also, please keep in mind that the first scan is supposed to take significantly longer so if you have never ran a Full System Scan yet, it’s good to run it twice and compare the results.

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 11:07:17 PM »
One possibility is your Avast may be configured to scan all archives, so Avast is opening them all and scanning their contents.

Another possibility is that some area of your HDD has some problems (whether physical or filesystem issues).

To be clear, I am just throwing out possible reasons, and I have no indication if any of those are actually your case.

You may want to review your settings for the specific scan, or change the range (instead of, say, the complete drive, divide you scan areas and ease some scan settings). Or running at night some scandisk, or even some HDD manufacturer's tool.

The suggestions are related to the possible reasons I wrote about, so I can't be more specific. They may or may not help you, so I would start by the simpler methods first.