Author Topic: W32.Beagle not recognised  (Read 13958 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:W32.Beagle not recognised
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 10:59:40 PM »
It would be interesting to know if the same happens if you switch from IMAP to POP.

I mean, IMAP can have some important specifics - e.g. that the message is processed by parts... :-\
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

force_redo

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2004, 01:10:52 AM »
Hi Vlk,

just tested it with POP. Works perfectly fine :-)

Hmmm... Shame, since I only use IMAP.

Well, again, it's not that I'm in real danger here, but somebody who's Imap server doesn't check the mails itself might be.

@igor:

"nothing suspicious", does this mean you didn't find a virus in there? I hope not :-)))

Have you tried sending yourself this email via Imap?
(By the way, I found it rather hard to send myself a virus, first came avast and forbid it (very good) and then my server replying "infected mail" and wouldn't take it. I feel quite safe now not to become a spreader, though) :-)

I upgraded to the new beta (529, I believe) but the problem remains...  :-[

Well, thanks for your help so far, I hope you will sort it eventually in the future. (I will try with every new version now, when it works, I buy the pro version. Not that I'd need it, the "home" does eberything I need, but to show my appreciation)

Cheers,
Chris

force_redo

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2004, 01:27:06 AM »
One more (and then I'll shut up until asked) ;-)

My virus emails are stored in a IMAP folder of which the message bodies don't get downloaded.
(Just so that I can download them again and again)
Funny enough avast now doesn't even recognise the viruses (or virii) in those mails anymore in which it detected them the other day. Something has changed, but for the worse unfortunately.

Then I came to the idea of using another mail client. (The buit in Opera one, rather than Thunderbird) and guess what: Avast recognises all the viruses! :-)

So, aparently this seems some incompatibility with thunderbird then.

I would like to use only Opera now, but unfortunately it lacks some important options that I need...

Well, thanks again.

C

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2004, 04:38:21 PM »
The problem seems to be caused by Thunderbird using a special IMAP feature - downloading the messages by pieces - i.e. it doesn't download the whole message, it doesn't even download the particular attachments as whole - but it simply downloads the message cut into smaller pieces, one by one (at least I suppose so - theoretically, it may get the pieces even randomly - one here, one there...).
This feature, unfortunatelly, breaks avast! scanning - the virus is not recognized from a small piece of message only :(

force_redo

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2004, 09:14:05 PM »
Hmmm. What a shame.

Maybe there's a secret switch in Thunderbird somewhere to turn this "feature" off. (Whatever it's made for)
I'll get in touch with the thunderbird guys...

(Rumor is that the Opera Imap client is rewritten from scratch right now, so maybe this will become an option for me in the future...)

Or is it possible to fix this in avast? (I guess not)

Thanks a lot for looking into this, though. You are a great support!

C

force_redo

I FOUND THE SECRET SWITCH
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2004, 11:49:10 PM »
Hi Igor,

your assumption was perfectly right!

Here's the solution to my problem, for ecerybody who has the same problem (and might not even know it!)

Step by step:

(If you have thunderbird running, close it first)

1.) Find the "mailnews.js" file
(Usually located here: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\defaults\pref\) and edit it

2.) Find these four entries:

pref("mail.imap.fetch_by_chunks", true);
pref("mail.imap.mime_parts_on_demand", true);
pref("mail.server.default.fetch_by_chunks", true);
pref("mail.server.default.mime_parts_on_demand", true);

3.) now change the "true" to "false" in each entry and save the file.

4.) Voila! Avast finds all the Virii in all the Emails!

Now I can buy your product!  ;D

Cheers,
C

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2004, 12:07:52 AM »
Cool!!
I thought they would be such a switch there... but they didn't believe me  :P:P

Thanks!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2004, 12:28:08 AM »
Well believe... I was skeptical, that's all  . BTW force_redo, how did you find these settings? ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 12:28:53 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

force_redo

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2004, 01:37:13 AM »
Well believe... I was skeptical, that's all  . BTW force_redo, how did you find these settings? ;)

Google, an iron will to make it work and browsing through very geeky forums for two hours. ;-)
I found out that there was such a switch in Netscape and from there on it was guesswork.

BTW, there is another file called "prefs.js" here:
C:\Programm Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\defaults\profile\

Which is apparently meant to override the main config "mailnews.js" on a "per user basis". So, you might be able to add those four lines in there as well. You will have to change "pref" to "user_pref" at the beginning of each line.
Should work, according to some people in some forums, but I haven't tried yet...

(For people who don't like editing their main config files)

Keep up the good work!

C

parish

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2004, 08:36:15 PM »
You are better not editing mailnews.js. It will get overwritten when you upgrade T-bird, as will the prefs.js you referred to.

You should put your mods in user.js, not prefs.js, in your profile directory. Create user.js if it doesn't exist - it's just a plain text file. You could use prefs.js but that gets re-written everytime you exit T-bird whereas user.js never gets touched.

Note that when you put the lines in user.js you need to use

user_pref(....)

not

pref(....)

« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 08:47:26 PM by parish »

force_redo

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2004, 09:48:10 PM »
Ah, good to know, thank you very much!

C

Goner

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2004, 02:22:50 PM »
interesting thread ... i'll have a look at the settings mentioned here.

but my problem starts before even downloading messages ; since upgrading to Avast 4.5 I can no longer connect to the IMAP server !! could that be related to this problem??

before upgrading i had no problem at all using Avast & Thunderbird ...

Goner

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2004, 10:28:56 PM »
uhm, that's the thread we're in right now ... ??

and that's about Avast not scanning messages when downloaded ; I can not even connect to the IMAP server.

Goner

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2004, 10:34:03 PM »
You should put your mods in user.js, not prefs.js, in your profile directory. Create user.js if it doesn't exist - it's just a plain text file. You could use prefs.js but that gets re-written everytime you exit T-bird whereas user.js never gets touched.

this works like a charm !! the lines you put in user.js are even copied into prefs.js when stopping Thunderbird ...

great tip !!