Author Topic: Exclusions  (Read 4005 times)

cmate

Exclusions
« on: November 20, 2004, 01:02:19 AM »
I am still test using avast 4.5 Pro ... so far so good I am pleased with the performance with one exception.
I mark a file for exclusion and after clicking OK go back to the desktop and try to activate the file, it is still blocked by avast. If I go back to see if the files are still checked in Exclusions, I find the check marks have been removed.
How does one get exclusions to hold the check marks.
Ray

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Exclusions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 01:11:47 AM »
I am still test using avast 4.5 Pro ... so far so good I am pleased with the performance with one exception.
I mark a file for exclusion and after clicking OK go back to the desktop and try to activate the file, it is still blocked by avast. If I go back to see if the files are still checked in Exclusions, I find the check marks have been removed.
How does one get exclusions to hold the check marks.
Ray

Ray, welcome and sorry but I could not understand what you want or need...  :-[
The best things in life are free.

cmate

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 01:54:52 AM »
Let me try again...
I have a program where the start file is called loader.exe. It is located in the program's directory in XP's Program Files and is also located on a removable (USB) HDD as a backup.
Yes, I realise that loader.exe files can be suspect but I know this file is clean because if I disable Avast, the program works fine.
When I check the box in Exclusions for both the above locations, avast still blocks the file from activating.
If I go back to Exclusions and see if the files are still checked...alas! Exclusions seems to have reset the settings and cleared the check boxes.
What I want to know is how do I get Exclusions to retain the settings.
Interestingly I did not have this problem with Norton AV 2003 or 2004 but have decided not to use Norton because it has become too resource hungry.

Ray

cmate

Re:Exclusions..Found Answer
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 02:21:51 AM »
Thanks guys you can rest now. I found the answer in another article from October:

Until then, you can add the "false positive" file into exclusions:
Left click on "a" ball next to the clock and select Standard Shield.
Click Customize... and select Advanced tab.
Now just enter full path (path plus filename with extension) into the line and press [Enter] on keyboard.

This will exclude the file from scan, so you can use it untill false positive is resolved. Do this with caution or if you're 100% sure that the alert was false positive for that file.

This fixed the problem fine.

Cheers

Ray

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 03:04:09 AM »
Sorry for not understanding you at first...
The well-known problem of the path name into Exclusions.
The path name will be verified as full text (so PROGRA~1 is different form PROGRAM FILES and different from "PROGRAM FILES").
Anyway, you're ok know that is what matters  8)
The best things in life are free.