Author Topic: xp virus  (Read 11521 times)

Offline avastment

xp virus
« on: December 03, 2011, 04:46:40 AM »
I have a virus. My first in like 20 years. its on a six year old XP dell.  It may have come about because I installed Windows essentials, google chrome and removed Avast free about a week ago from XP and this W7.    Not sure but I did all that because firefox 8 was running like real slow.
 I also have a windows 7 pavillon.  this one.   Xp is at work and W7 is with me at home.  I reinstalled avast free on this W7 and removed windows essential and google chrome. 
Tomorrow I plan to copy to a flash drive from my XP   desktop folders and files, my documents folder and whatever else to fill up 16g.
I'll take this w7 to work and copy avast free to another flash.
Question is.
Can I or is it a good plan to connect USB with Avast free to XP then run Avast free on XP to see if it finds a virus and if it does, remove it, reboot  and see if I can connect to my VZ broadband with no problem assuming I see that Avast found a virus to delete?
Any suggestions?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
Re: xp virus
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 11:27:02 AM »
are you going to do this yourselfe or do you need help?

Offline avastment

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
Are you wanting me to get on a plane and come to Norway or are you planning to be in California like real soon.
I'm going to do it myself.
It's 6:30am in here in Los Angeles and I plan to start in about 45 minutes.  First copy out as many of my files and a few programs from XP and then transfer downloaded Avast from my W7 to my flash then copy it if I can to  XP and run a scan of XP.  and if Avast finds nothing I'll run Malwarebytes and if that doesn't work, I expect it will be lunch time by then I'll probably be having a big Question mark in my head and be back to tell you if above worked or not.
And if Avast works I'll buy a year membership which would be half of what computer repair person was going to charge me until after him having my XP for 2 days could not fix for $79.00 he was going to charge me to remove virus until I removed XP from him.
Also he was saying it was a browser virus.  So I had said why not just remove browser to which he said was not that easy.
I'll know more in 3 or 4 hours.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »
well we usually do it here from the forum   
We have a very nice guy here with some magic tools that fix most problems...recomended

so if you want help then follow this guide and attach all log`s
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

If you do it your self, you can try these

Malwarebytes 
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

These can be run from a USB stick
Superantispyware portable 
http://superantispyware.com/portablescanner.html?tag=SAS_HOMEPAGE

Norman Malware Cleaner
http://www.norman.com/downloads/malware_cleaner/en-us

Dr.Web CureIt
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/?lng=en

how to use Dr.Web
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/how_it_works/?lng=en
Norman

Offline avastment

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 05:58:43 PM »
7:20am deleted all files on 3 flash drives.  one with 900mb, 1.7g on another and last one with 7.5g
7:35am moved avast and malwarebytes to flash
7:47am started backup of my desktop, FF, Thunderbird, my documents which took forever and some other files I had in a truecrypt.
8:50am put in flash drive with avast and malware bytes intpo xp and copied both to program files.  Tried running avast but I could not find *.exe file so ran malwarebytes and nothing found.
How to I get Avast to run a scan or at least open?
I have both XP and W7 in same location.  W7 connected to internet, XP not.

Offline avastment

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »
I found below so I'm off to download Avast free to my flash and then put it on my XP

alright have your flash plugged in. go to (i block this link, it was not to Avast) and click to download it, when it asks you to open or save, click save and choose browse and choose your flash driver. you have to save that first thing it asks you to because that is the installation. so dont click run. then plug your flash drive into another computer and open it onto your other computer to start the installation progress
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 08:52:36 PM by avastment »

Offline avastment

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »
9:14am Avast is installing on XP and doing a scan.

Offline avastment

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 07:33:33 PM »
scan ended at 9:49am, I deleted google chrome and did a reboot
it rebooted to a blue screen so I tried again
and It worked.  My desktop icons had to be rearranged.  I found my background image and went online using firefox and VZ broadband and everything was fine at 10:am.

I'm going to return XP to my workplace and then see about buying Avast but which version? and is price per user or each computer.  Not sure if I want to buy a version for each.

And as soon a 32G flash arrives on Wednesday I'll do another back up of my XP and W7 more often than every 5 months. 
I'm going to try for every week on both!

Offline avastment

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 09:11:58 PM »
Seems to be working OK now using xp.  There was a CD in drive I found when I heard it spinning this morning.
Below is what's on it.  Which most important to keep or anything there I need to save?

it appears you have to open below in new window to see files.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:14:40 PM by avastment »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast √úberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 09:19:23 PM »
They appear to malware removal/cleaning tools ..  However, they are all probably out of date now

Have you thought of AIS with a 3 system licence ?

Offline avastment

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 09:30:34 PM »
I only have 2 systems.  An xp and a Windows7

Offline avastment

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 06:02:42 PM »
Its Sunday morning and I'm at my XP.
white A in red circle task bar has a warning triangle saying
Avast Antivirus:  Attention your system is not fully protected.  I'm using free version.

Using FF8, I removed Google Chromed yesterday typing Avast into google search takes me to a page of Avast links.  If I click on one it takes forever to open and then opens in some other site I really don't want.  Avast blocked when such forward link.
If I type Avast.com in URL block I get to Avast.
I'm thinking I still have a virus in here.
Help

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast √úberevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 06:39:50 PM »
Yep there was some probable residue that Avast did not find - Is it the XP only ?

Do the following:
Start -> Run
type diskmgmt.msc
Click "OK"

Disk Management will open.

Click and hold the right side of the Disk Management Window and drag it to the right until you can see all the columns.

Take a screen Shot of the Disk Management Window and attach the screen shot to your reply.

THEN

Download OTL  to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
consrv.dll
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
Userinit.exe
svchost.exe
/md5stop
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NetBT /s
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NetBIOS /s
C:\Windows\assembly\tmp\U\*.* /s
%Temp%\smtmp\1\*.*
%Temp%\smtmp\2\*.*
%Temp%\smtmp\3\*.*
%Temp%\smtmp\4\*.*
CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Attach both logs

Offline avastment

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »
Yes only on XP

I printed out above and will try it, now

Earlier this morning decided to give Malwarebytes a chance at a full scan

I started it at 9:23am and it ended 1 hour 52 min 44 seconds later scanning 308662 objects on this windows 5.1.2600 all this using data base 8309 of Malwarebytes. No infected object found.

thanks.  I'll let your know.

Offline avastment

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 08:48:49 PM »
What's OTL?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:15:03 PM by avastment »