Author Topic: Scanning file recived by MSN messanger  (Read 15805 times)

hch

Scanning file recived by MSN messanger
« on: November 20, 2004, 12:44:14 PM »
Hi, my first post is missing, so I will try again....

I have just installed avast home editions.
It works fine, but I have a small problem when I receive files trough MSN messenger.
I have read in the Help file, that Avast should scan this file if it is chosen in install. I have checked and it so.
I have tried to receive EICAR test file with MSN, but the Avast scanner didn’t find it  :-[
If I make the same test by mail, the Avast find the "Virus"....
What am I doing wrong regarding MSN messenger....?

Can you help me?

HCH

lee16

Re:Scanning file recived by MSN messanger
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 12:54:35 PM »
Did the scanner start and say there was no virus, or did it not start to scan the file at all?

--lee

hch

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 12:59:54 PM »
It didden´t start at all, now sign in Avast at all...

--------

Forgot to tell I am using Win98 SE
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 01:06:48 PM by hch »

lee16

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 01:07:47 PM »
OK, open MSN messenger, then click the tool menu at the top and then select Options, then click the messenger tab, then put "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" under where it says "scan for viruses using:". (See Image below).

Avast should then scan the file as it uploads to you.

--lee

hch

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 01:34:24 PM »
Thanks a lot now it´s working  ;D

But I don´t understand why I can´t se that I schould do this in the help file ?

In there i have thecked under: Instand messaging, ther was MSN / Windows messenger chosen.....
But that didden´t do it before.

But your trick did it THANKS  :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 01:39:53 PM »
But I don´t understand why I can´t se that I schould do this in the help file ?
Because it is a task for MSN to tell you and not Avast. It is a setting in MSN, not in Avast.

And I think if you had set Avast to scan "created/modified" files it would also have been picked up. And that is a setting in Avast and is covered in the help.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 01:41:47 PM by Eddy »

hch

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 02:00:22 PM »
Ok, it was this settings I was talking abought, se picture.
And this tekst:
The Instant Messaging provider avoids this kind of infection. It monitors the folder where the received and sent files are stored. Whenever the content of the folder changes (a new file appears, a file is modified, etc.), avast! immediately performs a scan.

So I belived thas Avast did it like e-mail settings.

SCORPIONINBLUE

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 02:16:58 PM »
Hey!!
You know I didn't think about this matter, I use Yahoo and send as well as receive instant messages, I have the messenger provider in Avast running but didn't even think that I would have to configure anything in my messenger service to activate the coverage, I just assumed it was automatic when I downloaded the new version.  So now are you saying I have to make that configuration in order to get the protection Avast provides for messenger service? This is vitally important to me since Yahoo is having a really rampant virus problem now.  (so much said for the Norton "protection" built into it!!), I don't trust Norton, and now I get my email through Outlook Express thus giving me the option of scanning my mail through Avast, and boy am I glad I did!!! Every day Avast finds something either fully infected or potentially dangerous, so as you can see I'm anxious to apply that protection across the board!!!  Please reply!!
Scorpioninblue :-\

lee16

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2004, 02:55:23 PM »
SCORPIONINBLUE

So now are you saying I have to make that configuration in order to get the protection Avast provides for messenger service?

For avast to scan the files that are sent to you from yahoo, open yahoo messenger, click the messenger menu at the top and select preferences, then select "file transfer" category down the left hand side, then under "Virus Checker" put "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" (without quotes), then avast should scan your incoming files. (see below)

BTW, there is a sensitivity bar in avast, if you click the "A" ball in your taskbar (next to your system clock) and then select "Instant messaging", you will notice a sensitivity bar to the right (normal, high, custom), you many want to put that to high if there is a "rampant" virus going around yahoo right now.

--lee
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 02:57:21 PM by lee16 »

hch

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2004, 07:55:22 PM »
Ok now it works when I am reciving *.BMP *.doc and *.GIF files.

But when I am reciving *.JPG files I got an Error:
The tekst in Danish means somthing like:
The chosen path was not found....

The path when it  goes wrong is this:
""C:\Dokumenter\Modtagne filer\IMPG0703.JPG"";

The path when it goes right is:
""C:\Dokumenter\Modtagne filer\hans og PC"";

>Eddy
I have set "set Avast to scan "created/modified" files " but that did not work.
The only way I can gat it to scan is to set the path op in MSN like lee16 said.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 08:21:21 PM by hch »

lee16

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2004, 08:26:13 PM »
"Den angivne sti blev ikke fundet" and "C:\Dokumenter\Modtagne filer", do you konw what these mean in English?

Also look in the avast log viewer for any errors, you can get to the log viewer by right clicking the "A" ball in your task bar (next to your system clock) and selecting "avast! Log Viewer".

EDIT: Just made sure its not a bug, got a mate to send me a .gif and a .jpeg, transfer went fine.
Are you sure its not just them files, have you tryed getting someone to send you a different file of the same type (.jpg/.gif)

--lee
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 08:39:07 PM by lee16 »

hch

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 09:04:17 PM »
"Den angivne sti blev ikke fundet" = The chosen path is not found. (Fx. c:\dokuments\)

"C:\Dokumenter\Modtagne filer", do you konw what these mean in English? = It is the Folder where MSN save the recived files.

I have 2 frinds to send difrente jpg files, and the all fails when I use this settings in MSN to run Avast:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe

Jlo

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 09:25:51 PM »
Hi,

Well I like you thought that Avast scans MSN as default. Its a fair question but don't get to hung up about it.

Remember the On access scanner would scan the file before you opening it and as some other said previously if you have avast standard shield settings on high it will scan them when saved and modified so you are protected anyway. ;D

Cheers

Jlo

lee16

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2004, 09:38:05 PM »
I have 2 frinds to send difrente jpg files, and the all fails when I use this settings in MSN to run Avast:
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe

I do not think this is a ashquick.exe fault, it is saying the path is not found, could you try changing where msn saves the files that are uploaded to you please (i.e. desktop or my received files for example), i have a feeling this will solve the problem.

--lee

Jlo

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2004, 09:44:23 PM »
Hi,

Just got a freind to send me eicar.com file via MSN 6.2 and as soon as I clicked on 'accept file' avast alerted.

All seems to be working for me via default.

Cheers

Jlo