Author Topic: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: aswSnx  (Read 10855 times)

true indian

Re: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: aswSnx
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
yah when i was watching vid on youtube i saw the script shield scanning a lot of the scripts....so thats good.  ;D

ady4um

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 01:01:25 PM »
All adding the the URL does is tell Avast to not scan the following script: http://www.crunchyroll.com/ - It does not tell Avast to not scan all scripts executed on any website with the following domain: crunchyroll.com (including sub-domains).

Try using:

Code: [Select]
www.crunchyroll.com/* and

Code: [Select]
www.crunchyroll.com
Note the slight changes in both cases comparing with your previous one.

To be clear, I'm NOT recommending adding exclusions. I'm just answering to your technical question about how to do it.

Please report back.

Sode no Shirayuki

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 06:07:48 PM »
Just tried both. Scripts were still being scanned.

Edit:

From what I understand, most of the security risk lies within third-party scripts. Can Avast distinguish third-party from first-party scripts? That is to say... Can I configure Avast to scan only third-party scripts? This way, I can decrease the amount of scripts being scanned on my favorite websites, however, still be adequately protected. 

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:16:33 PM by Kagurazaka Asuna »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 06:28:26 PM »
Third party scripts are off site scripts and until run avast doesn't scan them, at that point I guess it doesn't care. The problem being if it were initiated by that site would it be treated as from that site (and not scan per exclusion) or recognise it isn't from that excluded site and scan it. That is one area why I generally don't add sites to the script shield exclusions.

I would suggest that you use the firefox NoScript add-on as by default it doesn't allow scripts to be run until you allow them for the site. It also has a function to block XSS ((X)Cross Site Scripting). You could go a step further and use the RequestPolicy add-on as that gives even more configurable against XSS running.

However NoScript will take a little time to build up your database of commonly used/visited sites that you allow first party scripts to be run, so some find it can be a little hassle at first. The RequestPolicy is much more intrusive as you would be surprised just how much 3rd party (XSS) scripts/content is used on sites.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sode no Shirayuki

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 07:48:01 PM »
Thanks for the detailed response.

Yep, I can understand that. I mainly wanted to see if reducing the amount of scripts scanned on my favorite websites resulted in better performance when browsing those websites. Slowness isn't usually an issue, but it does occur. Though, I don't necessarily blame Avast for this. Slowness is more or less noticeable - It varies. If Avast was responsible I'd imagine slowness would be consistent. Firefox runs quite fast for me considering my computer only has 1 Gig of RAM (I'd like to add more but my computer doesn't support it). I use FasterFox Lite and SpeedyFox. Also, I keep the number of add-ons to a bare minimum. Additionally, I used a TCP Optimizer for Windows XP that was provided by my ISP. Back to the main topic, I suppose I won't bother adding any exceptions to the Script Shield. Though, I wonder if Avast has any plans to expand the Script Shield.

I used to have NoScript, however, I uninstalled it shortly after installing it. NoScript blocks everything - It's just way too annoying. Personally, I find it impossible to enjoy the internet when using it. There's a filter that can be added to Adblock Plus which blocks third-party scripts, however, it's about as annoying to use as NoScript. Too many websites rely on the use of third-party scripts, therefore, using the filter results in a broken internet. I'm not a fan of randomly breaking websites. That's why Avast's Script Shield is so good - It only blocks scripts that it deems are malicious. Now that I think about it, how does Avast determine that a a script is malicious and should be blocked from executing?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 08:22:02 PM »
You're welcome.

It would be blocked in the same way as the web shield aborts the connection, the script just wouldn't be run; I don't know the way it achieves this, but I assume it would be similar to the web shield (or network shield blocking).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Sode no Shirayuki

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 09:01:51 PM »
Hm... I'm not sure how the Web Shield and Network Shield. I'll leave that out of this thread, though. Perhaps, in the future, I'll create a new thread for the sole purpose of learning how the Script Shield determines whether or not a script is potentially malicious.

Perhaps, in the future, the Script Shield will provide more functionality so users can customize it to suit their individual needs (if this is even possible). I do like the Script Shield, though. It's great for people who prefer simple security to security provided by add-ons such as NoScript.  

Solved.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:21:12 AM by Kagurazaka Asuna »