Author Topic: Any Problems With Latest .1367 Virus Definition Update?  (Read 7092 times)

DonZ63

Re: Any Problems With Latest .1367 Virus Definition Update?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 02:30:39 AM »
Yes, Emisisoft Anti-Malware installed. Running it with all real-time functions disabled. I do periodic scans with it since I have found it great at finding Trojans other software doesn't.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 02:33:23 AM »
It does have a integrated Ikarus virus engine that may conflict with avast

DonZ63

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 02:43:53 AM »
I have been using it every since I installed Avast on a new WIN 7 install over 8 months ago without incident. It's WIN 7 service doesn't start until you physical start Emmisoft. Default setting is manual. Again not using it in real-time mode.

Again my original problem with Avast started immediately after an Avast definition update after boot time. Nothing else was running at the time the definition download completed.

ady4um

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 04:56:22 AM »
As already mentioned several times, disabling shields (or equivalent of other security tools), or disabling services, or disabling drivers, may not be enough. That's the reason for the specific removal utilities for each security tool.

Just to give an example, Avast has context menu additions, a screen saver, a localhost, an SSL module, several shields (not completely independent from each other), a service, a driver, and possible more.

If a user would "try" to "disable" Avast (so to use an additional resident security tool instead), how many interconnected items and settings would be really needed so to neutralize any possible interference with that other security tool?

Each update of Avast (usually twice a day) can change the engine and the virus definitions. To that, add a recent program update, which included also new settings that were not there before.

Some security tools are designed to be non-resident scanners or alike. Usually (but probably not always), Avast will work correctly together with those. Certainly with resident security tools Avast might find some conflicts, if not in some version, then maybe in the next.

Use only one resident security tool, and run the respective removal utilities for the others you ever had.

DonZ63

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 05:21:44 PM »
The only other resident scanner I had running was MBAM Pro. Both Avast and MBAM Pro have recommended exclusions for each.

I have had two Avast auto definitions updates after cold boots without incident. So I will view what happen here as an Avast "hiccup."

For anyone reading this thread if you want to protect yourself against "hiccups", malware, and system/hardware failures. DO FULL DRIVE OR PARTITION IMAGE BACKUPS ON A REGULAR BASIS.