Author Topic: Adobe Reader crashes triggered by Avast 6.0.1367 update  (Read 2863 times)

NotarySojac

Adobe Reader crashes triggered by Avast 6.0.1367 update
« on: December 05, 2011, 09:01:42 PM »
I let Avast update to 6.0.1367 on Nov 29 and the next day Adobe Reader X began to be shut down by Data Execution Prevention. If I uninstall Avast, Adobe Reader runs fine, but that's like wading naked through a leech-infested swamp.

I added the Acrobat 10 folder to Avast's exclusions but there was no change in the behaviour. I disabled Avast's Sandbox. No change.
I uninstalled Avast after unplugging the network and re-installed it from a freshly downloaded copy. The bahaviour is still the same.

This is a Vista Business 32-bit machine with SP2.

Has anyone else encountered this happening? I;m going to try to find a previous version of Avast and see if that lets me use Adobe Reader again.

Xircal

Re: Adobe Reader crashes triggered by Avast 6.0.1367 update
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
You can download the previous version 9.4 from here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/direct/

After you install it, you'll need to update it to v9.4.6 by going to Help | Check For Updates.

Be aware though that updating to v9.4.6 doesn't update the Firefox plugin. That remains as 9.4.5.236 and will cause Firefox to report that the plugin is out of date and a security risk if you run a Plugins Check (link in the Add-ons manager - press CTRL+SHIFT+A to gain access to it).

There's no way around this issue other than by disabling the plugin. If you do that, then the next time you land on a PDF site, Firefox will display a dialog window which gives you the option of either downloading the file to your own machine, or opening it with the disabled plugin. If you choose the latter option, the plugin will be re-enabled again. This means you'll have to disable it once more after you've viewed the PDF file. If you decide to download it to your local machine, right click and scan it for viruses before you open it to be on the safe side.

FJD

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:46:18 PM »
To cure this :
Here is what worked for me
Avast 6.0.1367
Behavior shield
Expert settings
Add trusted
Browse
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
Add it and you will be ok.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 05:09:28 PM »
Even better is to get rid of that bloatware Adobe and use a better a lighter product such as PDF XChange Viewer-light and very configurable, Sumatra PDF-extreemly light with basically no configuration, Nitro Reader-the heavyer and more flashy of the options but still alot lighter than Adobe and more configurations than you'll know what to do with, all are free and imho much better than Adobe  ;)

psw

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »
Sorry, I miss topic.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 05:37:00 PM by psw »