Author Topic: free software  (Read 1844 times)

valimdj

free software
« on: December 05, 2011, 10:07:17 PM »
I want to uninstall the free software because ... your free licensing is too complicated to use and I just had my computer left for 1 week without any kind of protection and this caused a malfunction of all my software...

I just changed to avg and this seems to do a very good job detecting rootkits problems and I think I'll buy their product ...

Sorry guys but leaving my machine vulnerable for 1 week just upset me and ... even if you probably have a good antivirus and you also noticed me that your antivirus just went off... I am still upset...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: free software
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 10:09:54 PM »
Well, you need to register avast yearly and the process is completely automated.
If you didn't change the avast installation, you should have been reminded of this situation (registration pending) in the trial period (30 days).
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: free software
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 10:22:22 PM »
The AV should still work, just that you can't get updates until you register, takes about 30 seconds from the avastUI.

Avast wasn't the only one in this issue as you the user get a re-registration notification staring 14 days before expiry (if you had previously registered) or as Tech mentions before the 30 day trial expires.

If the avast just went off there is something else in the mix, but what that might be is debatable, but I doubt it has anything to do with the registration. Since you mention rootkits, there is a possibility that you were infected, but again no chance to investigate that.

I also can't see how this somehow caused a malfunction of 'all your software.'

I hope you will be happy with avg.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security