Author Topic: Custom scan problem(?)  (Read 4803 times)

Offline Uh_Clem

Custom scan problem(?)
« on: December 02, 2011, 05:36:17 AM »
Here is a problem I mentioned in the Support area with beta 30664.  I thought it had gone away with a subsequent release.  If so, it's back.

The internal hard drive of my MacBook Pro (OS X 10.6) is partitioned into three volumes. Using avast! beta 1.0 (now, 35600b), I select 'Custom Scan' and choose the first volume for the scan. Avast completes the scan of the selected volume but continues on to scan the remaining, unselected partitions as though I had selected 'Full scan'.  In the preferences, all three shields are checked.  Also checked are 'Scan whole files' and 'Include warnings about files which cannot be scanned'.  Neither of the Full System Scan boxes is checked.

The only way I've found to keep this from happening is to dismount the extraneous volumes before starting the scan.

Any thoughts?

Offline mity

• Avast team
Re: Custom scan problem(?)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 12:29:41 PM »
Yep, ATM it behaves like this:

• The full system scans performs recursive scan of the path '/' but excludes all mounted volumes, and then it explicitly also scans some of the other volumes (removable/network only if enabled in System Preferences, rest always).
  • The custom scan does not play with this in any way, so if you let it scan '/', it goes recursively through the /Volumes/XXXX into all volumes.

Personally I'm quite uncertain, what is more correct for the custom scan: allow it to cross mount point boundaries (as it does now) or not? That's the question.

Regards,
Mity

Offline Uh_Clem

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 12:59:07 AM »
Mity,

Thanks for the prompt response.  I understand what you are saying but my personal preference and expectation would be to have Custom Scan operate on just those items I select.  This is what I have experienced with every other antivirus program (including, I believe, avast! for PCs).  Now that I know how ATM works, I can take preparatory action before the scan but... just saying.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:17:57 AM »
Mity,

Thanks for the prompt response.  I understand what you are saying but my personal preference and expectation would be to have Custom Scan operate on just those items I select.  This is what I have experienced with every other antivirus program (including, I believe, avast! for PCs).  Now that I know how ATM works, I can take preparatory action before the scan but... just saying.

Hallo,
on Windows, there's no such thing as "root tree /", containing the root volume and all mounted volumes. Thus, scanning a particular drive is always just scanning a particular drive, with no confusion.

On Unix, it makes sense to scan "root filesystem" both ways - the root _volume_ alone (= with all mounted subtrees excluded), or the root _tree_ entirely (with all submounts). We migh consider adding the first option to the dialog as well, making difference between "root volume" and "root tree".
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Offline mity

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 02:10:19 PM »
FYI, we have decided to add "local volume" scan which will behave in the similar way as the removable or network scan. It will just scan the selected local volume(s), without the recursion into any mount points.

We hope this would satisfy your needs.

Regards,
Mity