Author Topic: avast mobile security vs theft aware .... confused  (Read 15026 times)

Cooper 2.0

avast mobile security vs theft aware .... confused
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
Hi there,

I am using TA quite a while and also I was testing the beta internet remote quite intense but now I am totally confused.

the internet remote is closed, and when installing TA it says "move to avast mobile security for free" but there is no hint, if this is the same as TA or if TA became avast mob. sec.

I have an unbound TA license, will it stay unbound for the avast thing? is it the same as TA? will TA still be developed?

I was quite a happy customer of TA but then there was a post saying TA is now a part of avast, the forum changed and the internet remote was stopped ... now eveything is different and confusing...

Offline tcntad

• Avast Überevangelist
Re: avast mobile security vs theft aware .... confused
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 05:56:52 PM »
Of course it'll stay activated. If it doesnt Ill stop using it;)

TheUntouchable

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 06:11:14 PM »
Would be very interesting what the plans are for TA.. :)

Offline tcntad

• Avast Überevangelist
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 06:40:32 PM »
@ Untouchable..

Yep Id like to see TA developed and have the anti tehft features, I dont care about AV or FW on my phone or a dumb privacy advisor.

And we paid for TA.. Or is it still the same but free?

TheUntouchable

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 10:40:50 PM »
@ Untouchable..

Yep Id like to see TA developed and have the anti tehft features, I dont care about AV or FW on my phone or a dumb privacy advisor.

And we paid for TA.. Or is it still the same but free?

Same here.. Dont like more apps which slow down my phone :)

As i get it, TA is going to be free.. But i dont know if its now stand alone or integrated in an app from avast or both.. Confusing :D

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Cooper 2.0

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 11:37:10 PM »
ok, so if I get it right it means:

I can use avast anti-theft as a stand alone what is pretty much the same as TA
or
I can use the avast mobile security which includes anti-theft and some other stuff (that probably will slow down my phone and drain my battery  :P )

right?  ???

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:40:34 PM »
Reinhard has to answer the details..! ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Vicenteriv

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 11:41:20 PM »
Yes, just install Avast! Mobile Security, go to where it says Anti-Theft, proceed as told and you will have Avast!'s Anti-Theft app, and then you can uninstall Avast! Mobile Security and keep AT, which is just like TA, or even better :P

Cooper 2.0

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 11:45:02 PM »
Yes, just install Avast! Mobile Security, go to where it says Anti-Theft, proceed as told and you will have Avast!'s Anti-Theft app, and then you can uninstall Avast! Mobile Security and keep AT, which is just like TA, or even better :P

ok thanks, that answers my next question "why is there no anti-theft in the market?"  :P

it's always hard to change a system you are used to.

---------------------------------
EDIT

I just installed the anti-theft software (and was told to uninstall theft aware, because they interfere each other). It looks a lot like TA but not bad though. And I had do uninstall the avast mobile security because it break down 3 time in 5 minutes ...

two hints for the developers:

1. the custom lock textlimit is really short
2. after "calling" the anti-theft Code you have to type in the code again, I don't think that double checking is necessary at this point.

Tomorrow I will check all the features with SMS commands.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:02:55 AM by Cooper 2.0 »

Offline kooky

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 04:23:10 PM »
Hi.

I have two rooted phones (Xperia X10i and the new mini pro) and been using TA for a long time. I installed avast to one of them to check the differences between the two apps.

I have a question about the gps. I tried to locate the phone using the locate command.
I had the gps disabled. I sent the sms and the problem is that it pops up a question about data charge and if I agree with that.
Is there any chance of the app to ignore that pop up question and enable the gps anyway?
Or should I have it enabled all the time?
Thanks.

Vicenteriv

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 06:01:56 PM »
As I read somewhere on the app, it actually warns about the use of GPS on non-rooted installation (specially on 2.3 if I'm not wrong) because it causes unwanted pop-ups, and thus the option to use GPS on such phones or not.

Offline kooky

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 06:43:21 PM »
Now that I read the settings again it says that in 2.3 and after, this pop up cannot be avoided. I want somebody to confirm that. If this remains as an issue that means that we have to keep the gps enabled all the time. Is that correct? Otherwise the app is useless regarding the locate option

Offline tcntad

• Avast Überevangelist
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
SOME phones (NOT ALL) will cause an unwanted popup..

To fix the socalled "problem" root your phone.

Offline kooky

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 01:20:27 AM »
My phones are rooted and the app is installed as system. The problem still remains. I tested both my phones. Is there any specific feature that I should have applied?