Author Topic: [RESOLVED]: Avast Blocking Internet Access and Email  (Read 3176 times)

rovieng

[RESOLVED]: Avast Blocking Internet Access and Email
« on: December 07, 2011, 04:48:12 PM »
I have been spending the evening browsing all the other related posts and haven't been able to solve my problem.  The problem started when Avast, today told me it needed to update itself so i let it do that.  Since then, I restarted and have not been able to access the internet via Chrome or IE.  I am running on Win7x64.  The only solution seems to be disabling Web Shield and Mail Shield, after which both work.  Enabling them again (which some suggested on other threads), blocks them again.  I also tried one solution being starting up avast only after other processes have completed, via settings(on startup) which seemed to solve some other peoples' problems.  This didn't help either.   I only installed avast on Nov 27 and hadn't had any problems till now.  I uninstalled, and then reinstalled (from my Nov 27 startup file) and the problem is still there.

One strange thing is, skype works as normal (not so strange) but really strange is that Facebook works in Chrome - the only website that works.  I can't even access my wireless modem with the web shield on, but FB works!??

Any ideas would be most appreciated.
Thank you.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:13:03 AM by rovieng »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Blocking Internet Access and Email
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »
If you have been viewing other related topics, you will see when this happens for internet and email, that the usual culprit is your firewall blocking updated processes/shields.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

Since I believe facebook now uses https (secure connection) avast doesn't monitor secure connections.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rovieng

Re: Avast Blocking Internet Access and Email
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 01:42:01 AM »
Thank you DavidR for your help.  Your solution seems to have worked.  I am using Online Armor for the firewall.  I deleted the Avast file you said, restored the webshield and mail shield and booted up again and all worked.  Then I restarted again and this time Online Armor asked if it should allow the Avast file I had just deleted internet access.  So I allowed it - and everything still seems to be working.  Wonderful.  I hope it all sticks.  Thank you so much for your help.  I looked at so many other threads buy your response was the simplest to follow for me - and it seems to have worked.  I'll let you know if it reverts.
Regards
Sharyn

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: [RESOLVED]: Avast Blocking Internet Access and Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 11:52:41 AM »
You're welcome.

At least should it happen again in the future you know where to look.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rovieng

Re: [RESOLVED]: Avast Blocking Internet Access and Email
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 03:19:13 PM »
All still good over here.  Yes, we shall see next time they update me! Regards.