Author Topic: Avast 6.0.1367 Conflicts with Sandboxie, I think.  (Read 6123 times)

login123

Avast 6.0.1367 Conflicts with Sandboxie, I think.
« on: December 06, 2011, 03:29:36 AM »
Updated to 6.0.1367 via the program notification (not the installer).  That is the only change to this system in 1 or 2 years, except updates.   SpywareBlaster updated around the same time as Avast!, on the 2nd of December, I think. 

Now Sandboxie ver 3.52 will not open IE8.  Usually freezes, using 50% of CPU, Sometimes IE8 will open but then opening a second tab freezes it again with CPU = 50%.  Won't stop running until I kill it with Process Explorer ot Task Manager.  Sometimes another instance of IE8 opens automatically even after killing the running one. 

Blackhawk browser opens and runs fine sandboxed.  MBAM (ran once & uninstalled) and Avast give no malware alerts.

I know that is an old version of Sandboxie, but then this is an old system. It has worked perfectly for several years.  Wxp home sp3, Avast!, Sandboxie, PowerShadow, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, all worked well together until the Avast! update.

A workaround is to turn the Behavior Shield in Avast! off.  Everything works OK then:  IE8, Blackhawk, new tabs, open links, etc.  All of it.  So I guess the Behavior Shield in the new version is causing the problem. 

Any thoughts? 

Thanks.  Login123. 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast 6.0.1367 Conflicts with Sandboxie, I think.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:51:19 AM »
If the BHS is causing this do you recieve any alert's from it ? which you could then add to the trusted list.
Another thing to try is going to the behaviour shield - expert settings - main settings and untick the box that say's monitor the system for unauthorized modifications.

login123

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:00:39 PM »
Hi, craigb. Thanks for the quick reply. 

No alerts, so I am not entirely sure which program to add to the trusted list. 

Forgot to mention Outpost firewall.  It has some behavior monitoring capability.

I will try tinkering with the behavior shield settings, and post back if some solution is found which allows me to leave the BHS on.

Thanks again.  Big Avast! fan here. 

DonZ63

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 02:21:10 PM »
What level is hueristics set at for behavior monitoring?

If if is set at high, set at normal and test. If set at normal, try the low setting and test.

Offline -Genesis-

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 03:39:48 PM »
Updated to 6.0.1367 via the program notification (not the installer).  That is the only change to this system in 1 or 2 years, except updates.   SpywareBlaster updated around the same time as Avast!, on the 2nd of December, I think.  

Now Sandboxie ver 3.52 will not open IE8.  Usually freezes, using 50% of CPU, Sometimes IE8 will open but then opening a second tab freezes it again with CPU = 50%.  Won't stop running until I kill it with Process Explorer ot Task Manager.  Sometimes another instance of IE8 opens automatically even after killing the running one.  

Blackhawk browser opens and runs fine sandboxed.  MBAM (ran once & uninstalled) and Avast give no malware alerts.

I know that is an old version of Sandboxie, but then this is an old system. It has worked perfectly for several years.  Wxp home sp3, Avast!, Sandboxie, PowerShadow, SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, all worked well together until the Avast! update.

A workaround is to turn the Behavior Shield in Avast! off.  Everything works OK then:  IE8, Blackhawk, new tabs, open links, etc.  All of it.  So I guess the Behavior Shield in the new version is causing the problem.  

Any thoughts?  

Thanks.  Login123.  

I can answer your problem which it happens to me also.

Sandboxie must be update if a new software will be installed on your system for compatibility. Like Browsers and Antivirus.

Like what my experience forgot the exact version of mine.

Example:

Sandboxie 3.4X will not work of FF 8 and avast 6.0.1367.

Try it =)

Sandboxie is a very low system requirements it even run my amd sempron 1.60 ghz, 512mb ddr. 32 bit Videocard.

Well the latest version is 3.62

Btw im using 3.60 but after i go home i will update to 3.62.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 03:41:30 PM by -Genesis- »
Windows 11 Pro / Windows Defender/
Ryzen 5 1600/ Aorus Gtx 1080Ti Xtreme/ Gskill Trident Z RGB 3000/ Samsung Evo 250GB/ Western Digital Black 1 TB

cadremis

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 08:45:10 PM »
Sandboxie 3.62 works very well with Avast 6.0.1367 and Internet Explorer 8 & 9, I gave it a try last week that my niece and nephew came over to my house and they wanted to play online games.

Sandboxie 3.62 works very well with Avast 6.0.1367 and Firefox 8.0.1.

Try updating Sandboxie, it's very light on resources..rm

login123

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 08:58:50 AM »
Hi, DonZ63.  All heuristics levels are set at normal.  I will experiment with them.  There is no heuristics setting for the Behavior Shield, but there are 3 checkboxes, and all are checked.  

Hi, -Genesis- and cadremis.  You both are quite right.  I should update Sandboxie, and will do so.  But every time I update / upgrade anything it brings another set of problems to be fixed.  :-)  The present setup has worked great for a couple of years, and I hate to start changing it, but I will.  

Thanks for the suggestions, will try them and post back whatever happens.

I think, though, that something significant has changed in the Behavior Shield within Avast!.  It is maybe something for the developers to analyze.  Just a suggestion.  :-)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:08:37 AM by login123 »

login123

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 12:41:31 PM »
Upgraded to Sandboxie ver 3.62.  System still working 3 days later, no slowdowns now.  

The new Avast! behavior shield is apparently more aggressive.  It is set to "Ask" and pops up about long standing apps it ignored before.  Easy to deal with, though.  Just tell it to allow the behavior.  

Everything OK now.  Thanks. :-)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:44:23 PM by login123 »