Author Topic: Can I get rid of spam email without opening them?  (Read 13114 times)

zephyrs

Can I get rid of spam email without opening them?
« on: November 21, 2004, 01:52:14 PM »
Hi!   I was wondering if there is a way to block spam email without opening them.       I don't want an installed spam blocker, as this prevents me from entering some programs.    
           Considering what I want and don't want, is the only solution to dealing with spam email, that of just simply deleting it when I see it?   I can do that, but I wondered if I could save myself from the bother, that's all.
                                          Debby

lee16

Re:Can I get rid of spam email without opening them?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 02:03:27 PM »
Hi  zephyrs

it would be easyer to answer your question if you provided who your email provider is (hotmail, outlook ect).

--lee

zephyrs

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 02:06:53 PM »
Hi, Lee!
          My email provider is Compuserve, (Compuserve 2000, I believe).
                                       Debby

lee16

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 02:15:35 PM »
zephyrs

Unfortanatly i am not familier with your mail provider, there may be a way to block spam mail like in "hotmail", try looking for an "options" button when you are logged in to your email account, it may be under "junk email" or something similar.
Otherwise the best option would be to just deleat the mail you know to be spam.

GoodLuck

--lee
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 02:16:10 PM by lee16 »

zephyrs

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 02:33:04 PM »
Hi!   Thanks for your helpfulness.    Now that I think of it, I could ask my email provider about these things, and so might learn more about what help they might offer in this way.
                                  Debby

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 03:06:02 PM »
Hi!   I was wondering if there is a way to block spam email without opening them.       I don't want an installed spam blocker, as this prevents me from entering some programs.    
           Considering what I want and don't want, is the only solution to dealing with spam email, that of just simply deleting it when I see it?   I can do that, but I wondered if I could save myself from the bother, that's all.
                                          Debby

Why don't you want to install a Spam Blocker?

How are you going to determine what is Spam without opening it in some way ?  Depending on the volume of spam you get this will be time consuming.

You can add rules to your email program to filter spam. It is no use blocking individual email addresses as this is trying to shoot a moving target, many from addresses are forged, you are unlikely to get spam from the same email address to warrant the rule/blocking. There is an overhead as each email is by each email rule/blocking, so it could possibly slow email processing.

I use MailWasher Pro which deletes spam at the mail server, it doesn't get downloaded (partial info about the email is checked locally) to your inbox fully and then get checked by your rules or other spam killer program (if you had one). There is a free version of MailWasher but that only checks one email account, so if you only have one account no problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zephyrs

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 03:17:46 PM »
Hi!    I am afraid to use a spam blocker, because there are some sites I can't interact with with a spam blocker, I read.
          I don't get a lot of spam at my regular email addresses.    But there is one that gives me bugs every time I open it.     I get tired of deleting it, but I suppose I'll eventually get around to asking them to send me no more mail.    But I'll have to open up an email in order to see what their email address is.    
            I did learn of a way to avoid spam, by sending inquiries to anyone I don't know, up in Yahoo.    The email program there in Yahoo automatically puts spam into the bulk folder.
             Bye.
                             Debby

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 03:33:34 PM »
1. Not all spam blockers work the same (read some more and find one that works for you), generally they don't interact with web sites (many can't filter web based email mail like hotmail), they use the same interaction as a browser. They either interact with, mail servers or they work on your local computer analysing email that has already been downloaded.

2. Never, never, respond to spam (remove links/email, etc. can track good email addresses), all it does is confirm that they have a good email address, that can be sold or used in other spam lists.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 03:34:29 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

zephyrs

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 03:42:26 PM »
Hi, David!
             Okay, I will go ahead and try out the mailwasher you recommended and see how it does.    
             Thank you for your advice.  And  I won't answer the spam letter I told you about.
             Bye.
                                         Debby

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 04:24:06 PM »
Easiest way to block spam is use the filter options in your email client.

zephyrs

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 05:35:48 PM »
Hi, Eddie!
             Okay, I'll ask them how to do it.    But it may not be possible without knowing the email addresses of the ones I am wanting to avoid getting email from.     Maybe I can learn that by right-clicking on their emails  to learn more background information about them - I'll try and see.
            Thanks.
                                     Debby

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 10:05:54 PM »
Hi! I was wondering if there is a way to block spam email without opening them.

Spamihilator (freeware)
MailWasher (freeware for just one email account)
More? Click on Links in my signature  :D
The best things in life are free.

zephyrs

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2004, 10:48:03 PM »
Hi!    Okay, I'll try it out, right after I finish this email to you!
      Thanks.
                                      Debby

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 05:28:10 PM »
I use mozilla Thunderbird for e-mail.It has a junk mail filter that is very easy to use and "learns"what is junk and each account has it own junk folder. Has settings for images and doesn't use ActiveX(a big plus if you ask me!)
I've been using it for almost a year now and it catches most of the stuff that is sent my way.There are add-ons that provide extras like RSS reader and Themes and I have found some that allow me to get my hotmail+yahoo mail all in one place.
So in one program I get my mail,RSS newsfeeds,and newsgroups.
-max

zephyrs

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 05:38:49 PM »
Hi!    I can't afford to spend money on a spam preventer.   Some programs are called "freeware" but they expect you to pay eventually.    Maybe your program is different.   I'll check and see.
Thanks for your suggestion.
                                             Debby