Author Topic: avast 6 and comodo firewall 5.8  (Read 15212 times)

Offline MrMaxaMan

Re: avast 6 and comodo firewall 5.8
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 11:56:18 PM »
Strange it is using so much, I'm currently using Avast, Comodo and Firefox, and Avast is only using 7mb.
Avast Free 20.3.2405 - Comodo 12.2.2.7036 Firewall with D+ - Winpatrol Free.
On demand - MBAM - Super Antispyware.
Windows 10 64bit - 16GB Ram.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 12:01:51 AM »
Strange it is using so much, I'm currently using Avast, Comodo and Firefox, and Avast is only using 7mb.

Don't see why this is strange, as you haven't the same system. ;)
And even if you would, you (most probably) don't run the same programs..!!
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

bimrocketman

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 01:50:03 AM »
Since avastsvc.exe is scanning what you have in traffic, the more you use other processes, the more memory avast will use.

Some users tend to think that avast is using their bandwidth, when in fact avast is simply scanning the same bandwidth being used by other software.

So I would say that whatever memory avastsvc.exe *seems* to be using, in most cases the important thing is how much memory is free to be used by other processes.
Thanks for your help but do you think 40MB is so much?

DonZ63

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 02:01:44 AM »
Mine starts around 7MB and goes to 15MB depending on what web pages I browse to. I am using IE8.
Do you normally have multiple web pages open at one time? That would certainly increase Avastsvc.exe size.

ady4um

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 02:41:15 AM »
Thanks for your help but do you think 40MB is so much?

My original suggestion is still valid: clean up. If you shut down completely your system, and restart it again (from power off status), do you have other startup programs? (Of course you have at least *some*, like tune up for example.)

My point is that you might have "too many" processes doing "too many" things in the background. Although 40MB seems a little bit higher than usual, it depends on what exactly is going on in your particular system. So, it is a bit higher than usual, but yet plausible.

Just to give you an hypothetical example, if Tune Up is working in the background, then avast may be watching whatever is happening there too.

So, go back and read the previous suggestions, and decide by yourself it this is worth (you could use the free memory available as a measurement, instead of the used one).

If you have any particular question about the suggested procedures, just ask.

bimrocketman

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 02:56:04 AM »
I just have about 30 processes running on system startup, my startup program is tuneup, comodo firewall, avast, IDM, usb safely remove. So if tuneup is the problem, what can i do to prevent avast from "taking care" of tuneup

ady4um

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 03:25:18 AM »
I gave tune up as a general example. I don't know which processes are triggering this.

You could temporarily disable those startup programs (and there are many simple portable GUI tools to do it) and reboot. After the reboot, review the memory usage, and repeat the review 10/20/30 minutes after that, so you can have some kind of stable conclusion of several values. For every memory review, all other tools / programs should be completely closed, or the comparison wouldn't be useful for this case.

bimrocketman

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 03:54:45 AM »
on system startup, the em usage of avastsvc.exe is about 25MB

After 5 mins, it is 2MB, whenever i start any application, it is 35MB

ady4um

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 05:42:45 AM »
Well, if you start only one window with only one tab of only one application, and that application is heavy, then maybe that amount of memory usage is acceptable.

But if that amount is used for *any* application, that seems "too much".

The 2MB sounds more common, and it could also be 8MB alone as you described before.

It is still not clear to me which additional processes were active at the same time when you tested. Maybe I understood wrong, but it seems that you still tested with those additional (optional) processes being active.

In addition, you keep looking / concentrating on the used memory, but not in the free available one.

bimrocketman

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2011, 10:57:45 AM »
i uploaded the picture of my task manager, those were all the processes running at the same time i tested. It's 2MB when the computer is idle, when i open an apllication, it is 35MB again

DonZ63

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2011, 04:03:13 PM »
Select File Shield in the Avast GUI, the select Scan When Openning. See if the option "Scan all files" is checkmarked. If checkmarked, turn it off and see if that reduces Avastsvc.exe memory usage.

true indian

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »
Right no i am having 3 chrome windows open and i am doing also a defragment still avast and comodo memory usage are:

avastui-4mb.

avastsvc-9mb.

cfp-4mb

cmdagent-1mb

so thats extremely low on memory.
I have 3GB RAM.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:19:44 PM by true indian »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »
i uploaded the picture of my task manager, those were all the processes running at the same time i tested. It's 2MB when the computer is idle, when i open an apllication, it is 35MB again

Again, this is no problem at all..!! ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

ady4um

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 07:35:33 PM »
i uploaded the picture of my task manager, those were all the processes running at the same time i tested. It's 2MB when the computer is idle, when i open an application, it is 35MB again

That's not what it is seen in your last picture. There are 24960K being used, not "2MB with no other processes".

We are going back to the same point. Instead of focusing on the *used* memory, you should focus on the *available free* memory. And until you try the suggestions already posted, there is not much more we can say, other than it seems still "normal" (or, if you want, plausible).

I understand that you would want to use less than that. If you are still interested, try first the suggestions already posted, and then report back. Please understand that there is no way for me to promise that it will indeed use less memory after the suggestions, but it is plausible.

DonZ63

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 10:10:58 PM »
I did some more testing, and avastsvc.exe size is definitely related to what else is running. For example if I start process explorer, avastsvc.exe immediately jumps to 30MB. If I shut down process explorer, avastsvc.exe is down to 4MB.

Now process explorer is monitoring everything running including open/closed ports, etc. I suspect avastsvc.exe is increasing it's number of handles, etc. when it encounters monitoring/disgnostic and other types of software that access TCP/IP ports.

I guess if I had limited memory, I would be concerned. I have 8 GB. Bring it on avastsvc.exe! 8)