Author Topic: Brother printer software  (Read 12763 times)

Tyreman

Brother printer software
« on: December 08, 2011, 11:38:23 AM »
Brother printer software was identified as a threat, its not a threat.
c:Program files/x86/Brother control center 3
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 11:42:56 AM by Tyreman »

deetz

Re: Brother printer software
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:41:10 PM »
same problem here - Brother Control Center 3 now keeps being sent to the vault automatically, identified as Malware, false positive

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:48:28 PM »
Ok, have you submitted as a FP yet?  Or are you asking how?

Tyreman

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 01:03:17 PM »
Ok, have you submitted as a FP yet?  Or are you asking how?

Notifying about the problem.

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
If you have it in the chest, right click on it and report it as FP to avast labs from there.

deetz

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 01:43:59 PM »
yep, reported it as a FP in the GUI, just wanted to add to the note here in case other folks come searching for info in the forums

freuter

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »
I got the same trouble on different systems - all from today, all on Auto-Updated Systems!!!
The first Upload to aVast's Virus-Lab are done!

Are there any insights?

Under Win 7/64 the actual manufacture file had 114688 File-size, stamped at 24.12.2008 at 08:46:54 as last modified date and located under C:\Program Files (x86)}Brother\ControlCenter3

Any hints, suggestion, or stuff like this?!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 06:28:09 PM »
Any hints, suggestion, or stuff like this?!

Seems to be a FP. ;)
As it's already reported it should be fixed soon.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Arska

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »
Same problem here.

Is it necessary to manually exclude brother Brother control center 3 from scanning to be able to use printer at meanwhile? I only got 3 options delete, move to chest and block neither of there allowed driver to start normally.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 06:57:07 PM »
Same problem here.

Is it necessary to manually exclude brother Brother control center 3 from scanning to be able to use printer at meanwhile? I only got 3 options delete, move to chest and block neither of there allowed driver to start normally.
You can add the program file to the exclusions in file system shield for the time being while your waiting for the false positive to be fixed.

Arska

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 07:38:32 PM »
I did eventually found the correct menus. In case of someone else is recently switched from another AV-product to Avast! as Me. Here is short guide how to repair and exclude.

1. From Avast! main menu go to Maintenance -> Virus Chest
At Virus Chest Click with right mouse button the line:
BrCtrCen.exe | C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\ControlCenter3
(I got many of the above lines because of multiple driver re-installation attempts they were located just in different directorys)
Select the Restore option from pop-up window.

2. Then go to REAL-TIME SHIELDS menu and click Expert Settings button next to the right border.
From a new pop-up window select exclusions menu and add the the directory mentioned at phase one to the excluded directories by clicking small add button at bottom of the window.

3. Reboot and Brother control center should be back up.

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 08:35:18 PM »
I did eventually found the correct menus. In case of someone else is recently switched from another AV-product to Avast! as Me. Here is short guide how to repair and exclude.

1. From Avast! main menu go to Maintenance -> Virus Chest
At Virus Chest Click with right mouse button the line:
BrCtrCen.exe | C:\Program Files (x86)\Brother\ControlCenter3
(I got many of the above lines because of multiple driver re-installation attempts they were located just in different directorys)
Select the Restore option from pop-up window.

2. Then go to REAL-TIME SHIELDS menu and click Expert Settings button next to the right border.
From a new pop-up window select exclusions menu and add the the directory mentioned at phase one to the excluded directories by clicking small add button at bottom of the window.

3. Reboot and Brother control center should be back up.

Those instructions would be fine if:

1_ You can be 1000000% sure it is a FP; AND
2_ you want to keep using it without reporting it.

When you report the FP, avast can correct it and everyone gets the benefit.

So, in addition to that procedure, I would add the right click and report to avast inside the chest.

Finally, return to the chest after the definitions update, right click on the reported file and rescan it with the new definitions. If it turns to be clean this time, then you can restore it (if it hasn't been restored yet), delete it from the chest list and remove the temporary exclusion / exception you added to the File System Shield.

Ahoy Dave

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 11:20:07 PM »
Happened to me this morning, Brother Control Center 3, uninstalled drivers and app and reinstalled twice, EVERY TIME Avast would quarantine the app, can' use printer controls, uninstalled AVAST after making 2 FP reports.
Wasted an hour this morning, got the day off to a BAD start, and not-a-happy-camper.

freuter

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 10:10:03 AM »
:: some stuff ::
Those instructions would be fine if:

1_ You can be 1000000% sure it is a FP; AND
2_ you want to keep using it without reporting it.

When you report the FP, avast can correct it and everyone gets the benefit.
:: some other stuff ::

I agree with "ady4um" - absolutely!

Before it isn't 1000000% sure that this "False-Positive" and NOT a virus, shouldn't use this "evasion". It's also a known technique of several viruses, malware and bad scripts tu search for such False-Positive to exploit this vulnerabilities! I advise my clients and friends rather to dispense for those functions and services, such as to open these "back doors" by himself.

Often, then forget to close again these "security gaps" and thus remains a major risk are still open. Don't do that and use the best, the right way: Send EVER such Files into your Virus container and from there, you can send it up to the virus Labs from aVast.

The avast staffs are really fast and I'd seen by some own Uploads that they came within hours with a corrected update. Here it is worth to act in the sense of community, to send those files up to the Labs and have some patience.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 10:17:18 AM »
Here it is worth to act in the sense of community, to send those files up to the Labs and have some patience.

+1
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0