Author Topic: possible major flaw in anti theft  (Read 5961 times)

bluewoody

possible major flaw in anti theft
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:31:12 PM »
Hi, i have tonight changed over from theft aware to the new avast app, to test it i got one of my trusted numbers to send "xxxx lost" this then started my phone saying this phone is lost or stolen, however the volume controls still worked so i just held down the volume and it went silent, even more worrying is i got the same command sent whilst i was actually using the phone on a call and the power button still worked, i also just held down the volume control and the anti theft switched itself off without me putting in my code, i dont know whats gone wrong but this app has a major flaw
unrooted samsung galaxy s2 on android 2.3.3
any ideas???????????????

reinhardholzner

Re: possible major flaw in anti theft
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »
hello usually after one loop of sound anti theft will switch back the volume to full volume. can you please describe the second issue more clearly?

bluewoody

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 01:22:36 PM »
Hi, I understand what your saying about volume but the reality is if you hold the volume down key whilst the alarm is sounding the alarm only comes on very quiet and then goes silent again over and over again
The second part is I was talking to my wife on the phone when my daughter sent the lost text, I could continue the call as my wife could not hear the alarm, I then pressed the power key and I could use all the functions including turning the phone off, being surprised at this I did indeed switch the phone off, I then called my wife again and this time I kept pressing the volume down key and the power key seperately and the alarm stopped and I had full access to the phone, the only thing I noticed was the phone was now in flight mode, that could have been me pressing the screen I'm not 100% sure.
Hope that helps

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »
hello i now looked at this. The volume keys as well as power key is only working if the system lock screen is showing up. We can not put our lock screen in front of this one as then password entry would not be possible anymore.

In our tests, after a whole run of the siren sound, it switched back to full volume everytime.

Also i was not able to reproduce your third issue (I had full access to the phone). Can you reproduce that?

Hi, I understand what your saying about volume but the reality is if you hold the volume down key whilst the alarm is sounding the alarm only comes on very quiet and then goes silent again over and over again
The second part is I was talking to my wife on the phone when my daughter sent the lost text, I could continue the call as my wife could not hear the alarm, I then pressed the power key and I could use all the functions including turning the phone off, being surprised at this I did indeed switch the phone off, I then called my wife again and this time I kept pressing the volume down key and the power key seperately and the alarm stopped and I had full access to the phone, the only thing I noticed was the phone was now in flight mode, that could have been me pressing the screen I'm not 100% sure.
Hope that helps

bluewoody

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »
I will try but I have just rooted phone and reinstalled and don't know if it will make a differance

bluewoody

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 10:48:22 PM »
Hi, i have managed to disable the volume keys by installing GO locker app alongside the GO launcher ex, this app gives you the option to turn off the volume key if the lock screen is in place it also stops the menu appearing for the power button options but if you hold the power button down it will switch the phone off but at least it doesnt come up with the list of options so is not as obvious, as for the issue of the lock coming off i have tried everything and can not get it to do it again, i am begining to question my sanity, as i said earlier the phone is now rooted but i would not have thought that would make a difference to it unlocking, may i just say that although i have been critical in my post i think this is a superb bit of software that is almost perfect and if it is possible to disable the power button maybe by having the option of only switching off anti theft by text it would be perfect for me

reinhardholzner

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 06:36:29 PM »
I'll have a look at it!