Author Topic: Problem with Skype group in Internet Security firewall application rules  (Read 1900 times)

sparge

Good evening folks, Been having a lot of connectivity problems recently and still trying to troubleshoot them after a reinstall of Windows (XP Home, back up to SP3 and fully updated). Running Internet Security and MalwareBytes AntiMalware, both paid for.

Tonight I made some progress by editing the application rules in the firewall, specifically deleting and remaking the entry for Google Chrome. Thus emboldened, I decided to do likewise for Skype. However, I soon found a problem. Every other application group has a little number in brackets after it, indicating the number of application rules in the group. With the Skype Technologies group, however, that number was 7 and there was only one entry. I deleted it, and now that number is 6 and there are no (visible) entries in the group. If I try and delete the group, I get an error message saying the directory is not empty.

Can anyone advise me what is going in here? I did find a thread in a Windows 7 indicating that something similar happens with Skype and the Windows Firewall, except there the number of rules was much higher but the rules did at least seem to be visible ...