Author Topic: Send location by SMS from CDMA device  (Read 5888 times)

epiccelt

Send location by SMS from CDMA device
« on: December 09, 2011, 11:01:12 AM »
I've installed theft aware on my Nexus S 4G rooted. Tried testing the locate command. Watched gps and wifi turn on and got a text back a few moments later. However, the text was all garbled. I believe this is because theft aware is sending texts over 160 characters which is not supported on CDMA networks. Theft aware should either detect the devices network type or provide an option and split texts into shorter multiple messages.

reinhardholzner

Re: Send location by SMS from CDMA device
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:13:43 AM »
anti-theft splits messages that are longer than 160 chars. which pone is the sender phone, which type of phone is the recipient phone? is both new phones?

soiltriad

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:38:51 AM »
Reinhard, first I want to say THANKS to you and the Avast team for bringing such a comprehensive tool to mobile users for free.  I have always believed that security is a right for all, and not a privilege.

Second, I believe what epiccelt is getting at is the same issue I'm having, on the same device.  On CDMA networks (in our case Sprint in the US), unless the message is split on the sender side into two separate messages, the receiver, regardless of network or device, receives jumbled nonsense instead of a text.  Many third-party SMS apps have the ability to do so seamlessly, and I don't think it would be too tough to add to AMS. I have verified this issue on multiple devices from different networks, and across the same network on similar devices; I have also done so with a network-agnostic service (Google Voice).  I hope this can give you some insight into working on the issue.  Other than that, the service works as advertised.  I eagerly await the web interface as well.  Please let me know if this helps.

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 10:28:23 AM »
hi, we already actively split the messages as you said. i do not know what the issue is there and i can not test as i am not on CDMA here in europe...