Author Topic: Virus definition update problems  (Read 4062 times)

Sophira

Virus definition update problems
« on: December 11, 2011, 01:13:28 AM »
Hi all,

I've been having some strange problems when updating my virus definitions since the last application update. I had no issues before then, but since then I've run into two separate problems.

1. At one point Avast wouldn't let me update my virus definitions - whenever I tried, it gave a message saying "An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format." This persisted between reboots. I saw this thread on the forums which suggested that uninstalling/reinstalling would fix it, and though I was loathe to uninstall my anti-virus for even a moment, I did so because definition updates are important and repairing the files in-place didn't work. Luckily, the uninstall/reinstall solution worked, although I still have no idea why it happened.

2. However, now I have a slightly different problem. This is a few days after the problem mentioned in 1, and basically Avast reports that I have definitions version 111210-0 and that 111210-1 is available, but when I try to download the updated definitions, it tells me "Already up to date (current version 111210-1)". However, clicking on OK to go back to the main display still tells me exactly what it did before, that I have 111210-0.

I haven't yet tested to see if my situation is the same between reboots, but I don't see any reason to believe it won't be the same. I'll check when I can, but in the meantime, does anybody have any suggestions on what to do?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Virus definition update problems
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 01:37:11 AM »
have you tried avast repair and reboot ?

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 02:29:01 AM »
You mentioned not checking between reboots. After repairing avast (or using the "fix it" action), you must reboot before you review the GUI again. Only test the consequences after the reboot.

In other words, repair and reboot immediately after.

If that is not enough, please delete the firewall rules related to avast, so they can be re-created after the repair with the current latest stable version of avast.

Sophira

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 02:30:51 AM »
Actually, what I meant was that I hadn't rebooted at all yet. Sorry I wasn't clear!

I did do that for the first problem, but as I said in the post, it didn't help. It was only a full uninstall/reinstall that helped for that.

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 02:52:47 AM »
Then do a reboot. Wait about 10 minutes so to review if the updates are working. If they don't, then repair avast and reboot yet again.

Sophira

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 05:03:57 PM »
Interestingly, the updates have started working again, even though I haven't done anything or rebooted yet. I just successfully updated and am now on 111211-1.

I can't really explain this, and it makes me slightly uncomfortable that this is the case. I wish I knew what had happened. :/

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »
I can't really explain this, and it makes me slightly uncomfortable that this is the case. I wish I knew what had happened. :/

Just for your ease of mind, it's nothing to worry about..!! :)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0