Author Topic: Error in scan log  (Read 6263 times)

rickb117

Error in scan log
« on: December 11, 2011, 01:18:40 AM »
Hi all, every time I run a scan with avast6 there is no problem with the scan. It completes no problem. When It shows the scan log file there are some errors
c:\...bgBody.png Error:Archiveis password
There are about 10 different ones like that. I am wondering if that is anything to be worried about? I would have posted a screen shot but I am not sure how to post it here. Thanks for any thoughts. I am running windows xp on a dell dimensione520 160gb hard drive and 1520mb of ram

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Error in scan log
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
The \...\ bit is perhaps the most important part as that tells us what program is most likely to be controlling these files and if it is legit for it to password protect its data.

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations might help us further ?

####
Crucially what scan you did and did you elect to scan archives, is important as by default Archives aren't scanned ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:39:06 AM »
There are about 10 different ones like that. I am wondering if that is anything to be worried about? I would have posted a screen shot but I am not sure how to post it here.
Lower left corner > additional options > attach

rickb117

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 02:26:20 AM »
I am using the quick scan weekly. It looks they might have something to do with adobe.

rickb117

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 02:30:20 AM »
The whole thing is this
C:\system Volume Information\restore(4AD3AC10-0B18-48D9-BE71-2FC23683E97B\RF145\A0020244.exe 7adobe\images\bg.Body.png Error Archiveis password protected(42056)
They are all the same numbers

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 02:51:12 AM »
Adobe started to add "pasword" protection to some files.

Avast can't open a file that has a password, simply because avast doesn't know the password to use. So avast simply tells you that the particular file can't be scanned deeper than it was already scanned.

It's only information (which usually other AV tools don't even bother to tell you about). It is not saying that you have some problem. It is what it is: the file is password protected.

In addition, in this case they are part of some restore point, but that's another thing, and not an issue.

This is happening since not so long ago, since adobe started to add some protection to their files.

Getting rid of older system restore points (the real files, not just the list) would be a way to get rid of the log, but it is not going to have any real impact. You are safe.

rickb117

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 02:59:17 AM »
Ya when I saw that the system restore had something to do with it I turned system resore off and back on to delete all restore points. I ran the quick scan again and this time it cam up clean. I thank you all for the input and help.