Author Topic: XML - Settings not saved issue  (Read 5844 times)

Fract504

XML - Settings not saved issue
« on: November 21, 2004, 08:52:41 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am referring to the following thread:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=8518

I decided to open a new thread here, because I am also struggling with this issue in Windows 98 for now and I am using the most current non beta version. So I thought it would be a good idea to reopen the thread in the official version forum.

Currently I am using the workaround to stop the provider from the right-mouseclick menu to store the settings and then reboot.

I also observed the "settings not stored" issue after switching from ODBC to XML.

So in first place someone would ask: Why not use ODBC? Simple Answer: When using ODBC, it is impossible to do a defragment in Windows 98. The .mdb file is accessed like mad and windows 98 defrag doesn't like that. It keeps restarting all the time... Pretty uncool to be honest.

After switching to XML it got a lot better. Still some frequent access to avast4.ini... But slow enough to let the defrag start. I think its unnecessary to read avast4.ini that often. I think once at program start is enough... Also Mark Russinovich from Sysinternals at a symposium last year mentioned some antivirus programs which  keep reading the same setting-files over and over and cause the system to slow down slightly. We don't want to play in that league do we?

Maybe alwil is using avast4.ini as a kind of communication medium... Looking for changed settings... Maybe has something to do with ADNM... hmm... sorry, but I don't like this frequent access... no matter if its fast from ram or not.

Remark: I didn't try the beta 4.5.529, so I cannot comment on that.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 08:58:25 PM by Fract504 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:XML - Settings not saved issue
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 08:58:22 PM »
When using ODBC, it is impossible to the a defragment in Windows 98.
Pure nonsence. Run defrag while in safe mode.

Still some frequent access to avast4.ini
Perfectly normal since Avast is running.

I didn't try the beta 4.5.529, so I cannot comment on that.
Give it a try, seems a lot of fixes, may solve your problem too.

Fract504

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 09:00:52 PM »

Sorry, but before using avast it was no problem to defrag in normal mode. It is really the ODBC access which prevents defrag. For me this is unacceptable and there is no excuse. Sorry.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 09:01:39 PM by Fract504 »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 09:48:15 PM »

Not really a non-sense (Eddy, please don't be so confident about things you don't know for sure). I've really seen 9x systems where this was the case...

Anyway, Fract504, so your saying that after switching the storage to XML, no settings are persisted??

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 10:00:47 PM »
I only said that it is possible to run defrag in safe mode and that it will work despite the settings in Avast are set to ODBC. That is 100% sure.

He never said that he was running defrag while in normal mode (which in general isn't advised to do anyway on 9x or ME systems)

But lets see if we can help this person. If I remember correclty there is a post somewhere on this board from someone who found a solution to a simulair problem. Trying to find it as we speak.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 10:01:17 PM by Eddy »

Fract504

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 10:15:06 PM »
Currently I am using the workaround to stop the provider from the right-mouseclick menu to store the settings and then reboot.

Sorry for quoting myself, but maybe someone did not read my whole message...

I did manage to save the settings using the workaround from the FAQ. After using the workaround the settings are saved. But rebooting windows without the workaround does not save settings. So at least in the release version the issue still exists.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 10:17:18 PM »
Fract504,

do you have the latest MDAC drivers and JET drivers installed? Not sure if it will help, but it sure helped people with related problems.

ps: Still looking for that other posts I mentioned. But the search option on this board isn't that great :-\

Fract504

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 10:19:53 PM »

Anyway, Fract504, so your saying that after switching the storage to XML, no settings are persisted??

Thanks
Vlk

Yes thats right. I am currently using the workaround with the right mouseclick on the avast icon and then stopping all providers and reboot.

VLK: I also noticed another "issue". When switching to XML, the avast4.xml does not get generated automatically. I had to open the avast4 main application first and then go to settings. After exiting the settings of the main application, avast4.xml was created.

Regards,
Fract504

Fract504

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 10:22:55 PM »
Hello Eddy,

ODBC is the newest version. But I prefer XML now anyway.

Currently I am using the workaround mentioned here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=4818

Scroll to the bottom. There is the answer.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 10:49:28 PM »
Looks like you had more luck finding it. That was exactly the post I was looking for :D I knew I had seen it somewhere. ;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 10:59:37 PM by Eddy »

Starfighter

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 05:13:44 AM »
Just curious... does it matter if you install the MDAC update before the Jet update?  (is there a special order to installing them)...   ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2004, 01:26:54 PM »
Just curious... does it matter if you install the MDAC update before the Jet update?  (is there a special order to installing them)...   ???

I think not...
MDAC should do the job itself  8)
The best things in life are free.