Author Topic: "The following components could not be started"  (Read 7845 times)

cheekyb71

"The following components could not be started"
« on: December 11, 2011, 03:27:52 PM »
I'm having issues with an error message and there seems to be no further information ANYWHERE and avast doesn't give any prompts like "click here to resolve" or "find more information here." And in the meantime I'm not being protected and I'm having warning boxes flashing up all over the show I'm getting annoyed!!
The message in full says "The following components could not be started: IM shield, P2P shield, file system shield."

Anyone have any ideas on how to start these components, or answers as to why this message suddenly appeared 3 days ago?? Or am I going to have to uninstall the programme??

Thanks in advance!!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: "The following components could not be started"
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »
Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What is your operating system and  firewall ?

Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual VPS version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cheekyb71

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 03:48:34 PM »
Thanks so much!!! I tried your suggestion of doing a simple fix and it worked :-)
I'm using Avast 5 with Win7 and the built in firewall (don't ask for more details, I have no idea!) Oh and my computer came with Norton trial version installed, I got rid of that in a hurry - using the uninstall function - because I don't like it.
Thanks again, nice quick, easy fix  ;D

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What is your operating system and  firewall ?

Try a repair of avast:
XP - Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair. This has in the past resolved this out of sync issue between reported and actual VPS version.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:51:20 PM by cheekyb71 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »
I'm using Avast 5 with Win7 and the built in firewall

Update to version 6..!!!
avast! 5 is outdated meanwhile.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 03:56:56 PM »
If you used to have norton then run there removal tool to get rid of any leftovers http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ number 26a in the list, once you've done that reboot your system and update your avast to version 6.0.1367.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:18:12 PM by craigb »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 04:44:22 PM »
Thanks so much!!! I tried your suggestion of doing a simple fix and it worked :-)
I'm using Avast 5 with Win7 and the built in firewall (don't ask for more details, I have no idea!) Oh and my computer came with Norton trial version installed, I got rid of that in a hurry - using the uninstall function - because I don't like it.
Thanks again, nice quick, easy fix  ;D
<quote snipped>

You're welcome.

As advised you should also run the Norton removal tool to be sure all remnants are gone and update to avast6.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security