Author Topic: Firewall allows blocked app to use a browser?  (Read 5635 times)

cooby

Firewall allows blocked app to use a browser?
« on: December 12, 2011, 03:50:05 AM »
It seems that the firewall, while enforcing the blocks for an application, fails to do some sort of a reasonable parent-child-watch. A game itself maybe stopped from going out to the web, but if a small child clicks/taps a "do you want more sheep" or something like it, the application is not blocked from going out through the browser.

Tell me I'm wrong.
Using beta on Thrive.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:24:55 AM by cooby »

reinhardholzner

Re: Firewall allows blocked app to use a browser?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 10:10:46 AM »
hello the block is enforced on linux UIDs. As the browser on Android is a separate tool that just gets "invoked" from the game there is a new UID. So you would also have to block the browser. Sorry but there is no other way to do this (as the browser is not EMBEDDED into the app but independent).

It seems that the firewall, while enforcing the blocks for an application, fails to do some sort of a reasonable parent-child-watch. A game itself maybe stopped from going out to the web, but if a small child clicks/taps a "do you want more sheep" or something like it, the application is not blocked from going out through the browser.

Tell me I'm wrong.
Using beta on Thrive.

cooby

Re: Firewall allows blocked app to use a browser?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:40:52 PM »
Got it. Simple. Makes sense. It's not like a trojan on windows silently running a browser. It really is a user-started browser.
Thank you :)