Author Topic: Freezing After Update  (Read 3010 times)

Xappy

Freezing After Update
« on: December 10, 2011, 01:53:36 AM »
I hope this is the correct place to post this. I didn't see a specific Technical Support page.

I just recently switched to Avast from McAfee, and I've noticed a problem. Every time Avast auto-updates, my computer eventually freezes. It's not immediate, but maybe 1-2 minutes later. My computer stops responding to any input, and I have to manually turn it off and back on.

I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit. I don't have any problems like this any other time, and I didn't have any problems before installing Avast.

This is rather frustrating. I'm hoping someone can help me.   :)

ady4um

Re: Freezing After Update
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 05:14:44 AM »
Have you run the specific removal utility for the exact version of McAfee you used to have?

After uninstalling any other security tool, you should run the specific removal utility so to remove any leftovers that might interfere with your new security software.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 01:48:55 PM »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 07:25:40 PM »

Please run McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool.You can download that from the following link .

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 07:30:29 PM by iYogisolutions1 »

norel

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »
After you run the removal tool, search your system for any folders, files, and registry keys that are associated with the McAfee antivirus you had installed and delete them. Even removal tools don't remove everything. If that doesn't fix it, be advised that Avast has been causing this problem on a lot of computers lately. It's mostly on XP though from what I've seen.

Xappy

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 01:52:15 PM »
An update:

I ran the MCPR removal utility, but I had a blue screen error while it was running. After rebooting in safe mode, I tried to run it again, but it wouldn't start.

Fortunately, after contacting their technical support, they were able to finish removing everything. Since then I've had 2 auto-updates for Avast and haven't had any issues. I'm cautiously hopeful that my problem is fixed.

Thank you to everyone who responded.