Author Topic: Making way for Avast, AVG UNinstallation probs...  (Read 4467 times)

Timmotron

Making way for Avast, AVG UNinstallation probs...
« on: November 25, 2004, 02:39:07 AM »
 ???
Greetings all!

I just learned about AVAST ad have tried to install it.  In fact, I HAVE installed it, and it set up without problem.  Unfortunately, when trying to UNinstall Grisoft's AVG v6, I get the following error message with the two choices:

--C:\windows\system32\autoexec.net.  The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows Applications.  Chose ‘Close’ to terminate the application. (close) (ignore)--

I tried to UNinstall every way--Safe Mode, etc., and I get the same message, and now of course, AVAST wrinkles its nose like I waved a turd under it every time Windows (XP Home) starts.

Any tips to rip this hard-working, well made but old, soon-to-be-unsupported anti-virus program would be appreciated.

Thanks, T.

inthewildteam

Re:Making way for Avast, AVG UNinstallation probs...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 02:42:43 AM »
Stupid question, so beat me about the head for asking it.  You did stop all AVG processes before doing the un-install routine didn't you?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 02:53:03 AM »
Let me guess here. You have a system with a preinstalled OS from a company like HP or NEC ;)

Timmotron

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 03:01:07 AM »
 :-X

Houston, we have a Bingo.  It's a CPQ/HP Presario R3000 Lappy.  AMD 64 bit, XP Home, courtesy of HP.

How did you know!?!

So--any idears?

T.

PS Oh--and inthewildteam--it was a rookie mistake not trying to turn off the services running, but alas after turning all AVG services (that I can determine) off, same exact problema.  Good eye!

PPS and where did my Thanksgiving .jpg go that I tried to attach to the first post, or are newbies not allowed?  Fanks!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 03:05:17 AM by Timmotron »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 03:04:41 AM »
Timmotron, avast will conflict with AVG 6 free at certain XP Home systems. In fact, I think on most of them...  :-\

You can use the email checker from AVG 7.0 free and avast without problem but only one resident should be installed in the system.

You can use avast uninstall utility[/b] to remove it. I'm not sure AVG has such a tool.
Maybe you will need to clean your Windows registry  :-\ :'(
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 03:05:45 AM »
PS and where did my Thanksgiving .jpg go that I tried to attach to the first post, or are newbies not allowed?  Fanks!

Image policy:
Allowed file types: txt,jpg,gif,png,log
Maximum attachment size allowed: 200 KB
 ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 03:06:43 AM »
I'm pretty sure I have the solution for you. :D

Do NOT do this if you have a 64bit Windows version

Backup the following 3 files.
autoexec.nt
config.nt
command.com

All 3 are in the \windows\system32 folder.
Download THIS and extract the files to the that folder overwriting the excisting files. That should solve it. If not (not likely) just put back the backups you have created.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 03:10:51 AM by Eddy »

inthewildteam

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 03:18:06 AM »
Some files might be marked as "super hidden" btw  ;)

Timmotron

Ok. Problem apparently solved...
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 04:30:07 AM »

Ok.  Done deal.  Gutted all references to Grisoft's AVG that I could find.  No more AVG.  Maiden AVAST! voyage scan is underway as I type.

And now, I shall attempt to post my Thanksgiving pic one more time.  It was only 122kb initially, but now it's 32 kb, and re-sized smaller as well.  Thanks for your help everyone!  Here's to a new relationship with a visually stunning Anti-virus client!

Thanks again.

T.

PS Drat.  The turkey's a no-show.  I am SUCH a llama!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 04:32:13 AM by Timmotron »