Author Topic: avast 6 and comodo firewall 5.8  (Read 15214 times)

bimrocketman

Re: avast 6 and comodo firewall 5.8
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 05:37:08 AM »
i uploaded the picture of my task manager, those were all the processes running at the same time i tested. It's 2MB when the computer is idle, when i open an application, it is 35MB again

That's not what it is seen in your last picture. There are 24960K being used, not "2MB with no other processes".

We are going back to the same point. Instead of focusing on the *used* memory, you should focus on the *available free* memory. And until you try the suggestions already posted, there is not much more we can say, other than it seems still "normal" (or, if you want, plausible).

I understand that you would want to use less than that. If you are still interested, try first the suggestions already posted, and then report back. Please understand that there is no way for me to promise that it will indeed use less memory after the suggestions, but it is plausible.
when my system was started, it was 25MB, when it was idle for about 5 mins, it was 2MB. The image is when my system have just started.
Can you say your suggestion more clearly?
Right no i am having 3 chrome windows open and i am doing also a defragment still avast and comodo memory usage are:

avastui-4mb.

avastsvc-9mb.

cfp-4mb

cmdagent-1mb

so thats extremely low on memory.
I have 3GB RAM.
How do you configure avast and comodo?

ady4um

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2011, 07:06:34 AM »
Can you say your suggestion more clearly?

What exact part of disabling the optional autorun / autostartup items was not clear? I mean, the explanation could be a whole article by itself, depending on the level of the target reader.

That was part of the suggested test after reboot, and after 10 and 20 and 30 minutes; all of those with the optional startup items being disabled, leaving enabled only the essential ones.

The other suggestion was about a clean install of avast. That means REALLY cleaning up ALL previous installations and updates of avast, and only then installing anew the latest stable version. Are the steps of this suggestion not clear?

bimrocketman

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2011, 10:28:56 AM »
Just relax. Because i already tested the memory, i disable all startup already, wait for 10 mins already, i think i didn't said it clearly to you, sorry, i thought the post with my image of task manager was enough. This is the result: At system startup, the mem usage of avast is 25MB, after waiting for 5 mins, it is 2MB, then it fluctuates between 2 and 1,5MB , and after 30mins, it is still 2MB.
I will wait for your answer before taking the last suggestion. Thanks very much!!!

ady4um

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »
Well, should I repeat myself again?

First, your last post presents different values than previous ones. The new values are completely acceptable.

To be even clearer than that, your *previous* numbers (about 30-40MB when using other tools) were also acceptable, but just a little bit higher than what I would expect. Other forum members already posted this same opinion about them (re-read the topic).

Regarding the available free memory, you have not reported anything about it, so how we would be able to understand that you indeed took note of it, or how we would be able to give you a relevant suggestion?

About the picture and the suggestions about start up items; the picture is clearly showing that you have NOT disabled the optional unnecessary startup items. So what you described doesn't correspond with the picture. Moreover, just closing or stopping the optional processes is not exactly the same for the purposes of the tests. So, again, the startup items should be temporarily suspended with the adequate method, and then reboot to start the test.

Finally, the complete clean up of ALL previous versions of avast might help, but I sincerely think this would be a waste of time. Writing all the tips I could think about a clean re-installation would take time, and performing them accordingly would take also time. In this case, according to your reports and several opinions in this topic, it is not worth it.

My current suggestion would be to wait several months for the first stable version of Avast 7 (currently only in alpha status). By then, you could run the specific avast removal utility under Windows Safe Mode, manually clean any remnant (hidden) folders containing "avast" or "alwil" in their names, and installing the new and shiny (yet to be released) Avast 7 stable. Until then, enjoy of the current security of Avast 6.

bimrocketman

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 09:47:23 AM »
i re-installed avast, but the problem still remain, the availabe free memory is 559MB. Tuneup can't be disable

hake

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 10:16:08 AM »
The memory usage of avastsvc.exe continually yo-yos up and down.  It all depends on what is happening on the system.  It is probably the case that avastsvc.exe spawns multiple threads so I am not surprised at this behaviour.  What matters to me is that Avast! does not slow my system.

I have just taken samples from Task Manager's Processes tab and have seen values between 3MB and 61MB.  I have two ancient systems, both running XP Pro SP3, one with 512MB and the other with 2GB.  In neither case is Avast! objectionable.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:27:41 AM by hake »

bimrocketman

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 10:58:05 AM »
The memory usage of avastsvc.exe continually yo-yos up and down.  It all depends on what is happening on the system.  It is probably the case that avastsvc.exe spawns multiple threads so I am not surprised at this behaviour.  What matters to me is that Avast! does not slow my system.

I have just taken samples from Task Manager's Processes tab and have seen values between 3MB and 61MB.  I have two ancient systems, both running XP Pro SP3, one with 512MB and the other with 2GB.  In neither case is Avast! objectionable.
Before using avast, i read an advertisement of it. It said that when avast was scanning, it just took 15MB, and normally, it took about 3MB. My computer, avast take 3MB only when the computer is idle, when there is some activity, it immediately increase to 25MB or 40MB. That's why i created this topic

DonZ63

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 10:40:08 PM »
I think this issue comes down to you either live with Avast's memory usage or uninstall it and find something else. I honestly don't think your going to find a full feature AV that uses less resources.

Personally, it's how anti-malware software performs on my system and not individual resource usage that counts in my book. Avast for the most part has minimal performance impact on my system.

I run MBAM Pro concurrently with Avast and I have seen that at times using over 100MB of memory. Again, I have seen minimal impact on performance.

Bottom line, memory is dirt cheap these days unless your talking old DDR memory. If you have that, it's time to upgrade your motherboard and CPU.