Author Topic: archive scan disabled  (Read 7440 times)

Andyg

archive scan disabled
« on: November 22, 2004, 09:58:03 AM »
Hi, total novice on board...i ran the latest home version last night for hours and hours... v slowly scanned all files. i had it set to thorough however..! in selecting how/what t o scan i checked box for scanning archives i repeatedly got message or rather the menu descriptor of setup  'archive scan - disabled'
I've tried to find details of this in faq and i forum but i can only find the start of  a thread and no answers. I'm an eejit and believe it or not i've never been in a forum so i'm lost!
I run Winme on bband dial up i have presently got or have used several virus finders etc and they all find different ones to one another and avast does not appear to have found any of those found by other programs. i have one called 'ares' which looks threatening but avast does not seem to see it. Please help!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:archive scan disabled
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 01:51:49 PM »
We can help you but I read your post and can't understand what is the matter... the time of the scanning, the difference between scanning archives or not, hability of avast to detect viruses...

Can you rephrase your question?
The best things in life are free.

Andyg

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 10:46:19 PM »
Thanx for the reply...and the moderate tone! Sorry about the garbled initial question.
Ok
 1) I tried to run the free home pc version. i could not get it to scan archives. i repeatedly checked the relevant box but the screen always said archive check disabled. How do i get it to check archives?
2)  Other virus checkers report infections that avast does not. How do i go about removing them? I can supply a
list(s).
3)I have a particular virus, called 'ares'. It has been labelled v dangerous by another site. Can you help me remove it, given my general level of ineptitude?

Many thanks for all and any response/patience!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 01:28:40 AM »
Thanx for the reply...and the moderate tone! Sorry about the garbled initial question.

No need for sorry... And yes, the moderate tone is always the same here. It's not just mine. All of us are here to help  8)

1) I tried to run the free home pc version. i could not get it to scan archives. i repeatedly checked the relevant box but the screen always said archive check disabled. How do i get it to check archives?

Strange... I just can't imagine which windows is saying 'arquive check disabled' and I can't figure it out. If you check the box and run the scan, won't avast scan archive files?

2)  Other virus checkers report infections that avast does not. How do i go about removing them? I can supply a list(s).

Do you mean in general or you are infected with them?
If you can, send the infected files to virus@avast.com for analysis.

3)I have a particular virus, called 'ares'. It has been labelled v dangerous by another site. Can you help me remove it, given my general level of ineptitude?

Can you scan your system and see if avast would find it?
If not, can you at least post the name and the path of the infected file?
Is this the complete name of the virus?

If you run avast! Virus Cleaner won't it repair the virus?

Andyg

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 11:03:56 AM »
Yr Q
Strange... I just can't imagine which windows is saying 'arquive check disabled' and I can't figure it out. If you check the box and run the scan, won't avast scan archive files?
A
The screen i kept getting was as shown in the attachment below. However,I've just tried again and it works now! I swear I kept stopping the scan and rechecking the box to try and get the archives scanned, only to get the same screen. Still it works now - must be me - sorry.

Andyg

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 11:07:17 AM »
In answer to yr 2nd question - i have infections that do not appear on an avast scan. I can send a list of names as supplied by other virus scans. i do not know how to send files themselves as i can't find 'em. if i could i'd delete them..i think.

Andyg

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 11:10:51 AM »
Yr 3rd Q asks if avast found the ares virus - apparently not. I have scanned and it does not identify it or offer to deal with it. i'll try aand run the other checker and screen shoot results asap

galooma

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 11:21:42 AM »
its worth noting  that all A/V products may indeed have different names for the same virus so this might just be one answer to your problem . There are also databases around that describe all types of  malware and you should look there also , have you ever tried to search with google?

galooma

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 11:25:31 AM »
another tip to speed up your scans is to empty out all your temp files before scanning. I run a program called ccleaner before each scan and its great. try it herewww.ccleaner.com be sure to leave it on default settings or you may remove more than you want to ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 12:37:11 PM »
Strange, when I check for archive files scanning it does start it enabled...  ::)
About the virus names, well, there is not an international rule for them.

Andyg

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 02:53:02 PM »
Hi,
Sorry fer the delay in responding to all the messages and offers of help/solutions. A 3yr old and a 7 month baby go a long way to making me wonder why i ever bought bband...
Many thanks for all the advice! Yes i do clear out all temps as often as i can and will do so yet more often.
i no longer seem to have the ares virus on my system. I did check thru google for the name and removal ideas - most signs point to you guys anyway.
My system at present seems quite clear and clean...given i run a steam driven laptop.
May i ask another unrelated question?
Ignore the following if answer is no...
i have an external usb disk drive i use as a holdall for all my music and photos. It's 114gig of which i use about 30g to date. can i keep some of the progs i have on computer there and RUN them from there and will that make my laptop faster as a consequence?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 03:37:15 PM »
I have an external usb disk drive i use as a holdall for all my music and photos. It's 114gig of which i use about 30g to date. can i keep some of the progs i have on computer there and RUN them from there and will that make my laptop faster as a consequence?

I have one external USB HDD and I use it for backup and hold personal data (off-line, non-connected to the Internet).
I think that you won't be able, in most circunstances, to install programs in it. It's like to install in a CD or floppy. The setup programs won't allow.
If they allow, you won't run your laptop faster just because of this. On contrary, the access to USB will be slower than to the laptop HDD.
Anyway, can you say how much free space you have in your laptop HDD?  8)

Andyg

Re:archive scan disabled/USBHARDDRIVES
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2004, 04:03:35 PM »
I think i can say that the current capacity of my laptop hdd is 252mb of which i currently have 25% free - that's according to ctrl pnl/sysprop/perf.
another check in webroot window washer says i've got 4.9mb of available memory out of 263.6mb. This sounds v little to me...Remember this is an actionbook 350t laptop that someone bunged as much memory in as poss - new hard drive and filled all memory slots. Sounds like i know what i'm talking about, but i don't.
Can i 'store' a program in my external hdd and call it up as i need it?
Frankly, I run winmx, limewire, word, kodak photoshare, musicmatch,polderbits recorder/editor on a near daily basis and very little else from one month to the next except to connect to internet with tiscali. Any ideas to speed up this ol' laptop v much appreciated.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:archive scan disabled/USBHARDDRIVES
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 05:37:48 PM »
Can i 'store' a program in my external hdd and call it up as i need it?

Did you read what I tryed to say?
Why don't you test if you can?

If they (the setup programs) allow, you won't run your laptop faster just because of this. On contrary, the access to USB will be slower than to the laptop HDD.
Anyway, can you say how much free space you have in your laptop HDD?  8)

Andyg

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 11:20:44 PM »
Yes I read what you tried to say.
I would test it but i have little/no idea what to do.
My query about speeding up my laptop stems from a conversation i had once with a school IT head who asked why i had bought the external hdd - did i want speed or storage? i said storage as i was busy transferring vinyl to mp3. That job done, I am aware that i have a comparatively slow computer- slow to start up, sometimes slow to run a program or a particular element of that program - especially where graphics are concerned. remembering his question made me wonder if i could exploit the memory capacity of the usbhdd in another way - to speed things up.
So, to try nd answer yr qu again, i have read what you suggested. I have several programs i'd like to keep and occasionally use. Can i put them somewhere, call on them when i need to use them, usethem and then drop them out of use, back into 'storage'. If so, how? i am quite aware that accessing the program from the usb drive will be slow, but i only use them rarely. if i drop it into my computer for a few hours to use it then remove it i care little that the process of transfering the program so it can be used is lengthy. i'm after general day to day speed interrupted by a rare, necessary slowdown whilst i use a program.
Maybe an example.
I have the application winzip. i use it once a blue moon. Does having it on my start up page along with apparently 39 other processes slow my computer down. Can i stash it somewhere and 'reload' it thereby freeing memory which can be used on processes i am using?
This might seem incredibly obvious, and i believe i can stash programs, i do not really know how. I do have a usb cdwriter too.
Cheers for your patience!