Author Topic: ALL web pages load SLOW while firewall is on and Instanly when off.  (Read 11129 times)

I have the latest paid version of AVAST INTERNET SECURITY and have only one complaint and that is when my firewall is on ( as it should be ) ALL of my initial web pages take a few seconds longer to load then when I turn OFF my firewall, I have tested this over and over and it most definetly is firewall related, when I manually turn off my firewall ALL my web pages load instantly and there is no annoying waiting, period.

My question is, is this normal? Is there something I can adjust? Am I just gonna have to deal with it?

It is very annoying because I have and extremely fast computer ( quad core with 12Gb Ram ) with a 25Mb Internet download speed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: ALL web pages load SLOW while firewall is on and Instanly when off.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 01:31:34 AM »
Which was your old antivirus/firewall before avast?
Any other security program that could interfere?
The best things in life are free.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 01:42:10 AM »
Which was your old antivirus/firewall before avast?
Any other security program that could interfere?

I only use Avast internet security for my anti virus / firewall and I use malwarebytes pro for my malware protection, those are the only two programs I need for rock solid security.

Exclusions for each program have been set in each program so there are no possible conflicts.

My windows 7 firewall is of course turned off as is windows defender.

Here are the instructions I followed for EACH of my programs. Btw I still had the exact same problem  BEFORE I ever set the exclusions.

*********The following instructions show you how to exclude Avast! 6 and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from one another to prevent conflicts and improve performance:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avast! Antivirus 6 (Free, Pro and Internet Security):

Open Avast! antivirus and click on REAL-TIME SHIELDS on the left
    Click on File System Shield on the left and click on Expert Settings
    Click the Exclusions section
    Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
    In the Select the areas window click on the + next to C:
    Click the + next to Program Files Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
    Click the box next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on OK
    Click OK again
    Click on Web Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
    Click on Exclusions and check the box next to URLs to exclude:
    Type or copy/paste the following address:

*.mbamupdates.com

Click on OK

Also, for Avast! Internet Security:

Click on Behavior Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
    Click on Trusted Processes
    Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
    Navigate to C:Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click once on mbam.exe and click Open Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
    Do the same for the following files:

mbamgui.exe
        mbamservice.exe

Click on OK
    Close Avast! antivirus

Set Exclusions for Avast! Antivirus Free, Pro and Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
    Click on the Add button on the lower left
    In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on avast software and click on OK
    Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:56:13 AM by 1010101010101010101010101 »

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 02:22:00 AM »
The question is notonly what you HAVE, but also what you *used to have*, as in what security tools you EVER HAD in this system. The point is if you ran the uninstaller AND then the specific removal utility for older security tools.

Cleaning older installations of avast and manually removing any additional remnants may help too. Before that, have a back up of your avast license file.

Sometimes, deleting the firewall rules and re-creating them helps too (but I'm not so sure this is your case).

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 02:39:20 AM »
The question is notonly what you HAVE, but also what you *used to have*, as in what security tools you EVER HAD in this system. The point is if you ran the uninstaller AND then the specific removal utility for older security tools.

Cleaning older installations of avast and manually removing any additional remnants may help too. Before that, have a back up of your avast license file.

Sometimes, deleting the firewall rules and re-creating them helps too (but I'm not so sure this is your case).

Let me be more clear, I have NEVER used anything but Avast Internet Security and Malwarebytes antimalware on THIS brand new computer I am using at this moment in time and space. ;D

The ONLY thing that even comes close to your ( *used to have* / EVER HAD ) statement is the TRIAL version of norton internet security that came with the computer new out of box BUT when I set up the computer for the first time I was asked if I wanted to ACTIVATE it and I choose no AND upon very first boot up to windows/desktop the first thing I do is go to UNINSTALL A PROGRAM and removed norton which was never really installed/activated in the first place.

I hope I have answered your question. :)

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 02:55:25 AM »
Let me give a clear example using this forum right now.

With my firewall on and I click the refresh button in the browser to see if there are any new posts it takes ALMOST 6 seconds before the page refreshes.

When I turn my firewall off and click refresh in the browser it takes about 1 second to refresh the page.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 03:15:00 AM »
Hi 10  :)

I hope you don't mind I call you by your short name  ;)

But I would use the Norton uninstall tool ( nr. 26a )  just to be sure everything is removed :

http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software

And bookmark the site :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 03:29:29 AM »
Hi 10  :)

I hope you don't mind I call you by your short name  ;)

But I would use the Norton uninstall tool ( nr. 26a )  just to be sure everything is removed :

http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software

And bookmark the site :)

Greetz, Red.

I just downloaded the tool and bookmarked the site for future reference.

Gonna run it now, be back in a few. 

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 04:02:42 AM »

Well, then you were not so clear about the "removal" part in your "so clear" previous post.

Glad we can reduce miscommunication now.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 04:15:06 AM »

Well, then you were not so clear about the "removal" part in your "so clear" previous post.

Glad we can reduce miscommunication now.

Personally speaking I think I was very clear in using common sense and reason when stating that NORTON was never activated or officially installed soooo if it was never activated or actually installed I PERSONALLY don't see how in any way shape or form it could possibly be the culprit to my problem BUT for the sake of argument I went ahead and used the tool to uninstall it. I guess stranger things have happened.But it's ALL good!!  ;)

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 06:30:21 AM »
Well, with the setup of your computer the Norton trail was installed too, as it should be. And you uninstalled it the normal way, nothing wrong with that. But security software, and especially firewalls, install deep into Windows and are hard to remove. That is why you need special tools to remove all remnants left.

Greetz, Red.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 06:50:28 AM by Rednose »
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 07:02:28 AM »
Personally speaking I think I was very clear in using common sense and reason when stating that NORTON was never activated or officially installed soooo if it was never activated or actually installed I PERSONALLY don't see how in any way shape or form it could possibly be the culprit to my problem BUT for the sake of argument I went ahead and used the tool to uninstall it. I guess stranger things have happened.

That was the reason for us to insist again and again on, first of all, cleaning up older remnants. They may or may not be the culprit, but for us to help you using a simple forum, all the remnants (conflicts) must go away first. Only *then* we can try to find were else the problem could be, if it is still there after the clean up.
But it's ALL good!!  ;)

So, does that mean your system is working correctly now?

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 07:06:10 AM »
Personally speaking I think I was very clear in using common sense and reason when stating that NORTON was never activated or officially installed soooo if it was never activated or actually installed I PERSONALLY don't see how in any way shape or form it could possibly be the culprit to my problem BUT for the sake of argument I went ahead and used the tool to uninstall it. I guess stranger things have happened.

That was the reason for us to insist again and again on, first of all, cleaning up older remnants. They may or may not be the culprit, but for us to help you using a simple forum, all the remnants (conflicts) must go away first. Only *then* we can try to find were else the problem could be, if it is still there after the clean up.
But it's ALL good!!  ;)

So, does that mean your system is working correctly now?

No, nothing has changed!!

Gargamel360

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 07:11:43 AM »
Instead of disabling the whole firewall, turn it back on, then try disabling the Web Shield.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:15:45 AM by Gargamel360 »

ady4um

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 07:15:13 AM »
The removal utility of Norton/Symantec also leaves remnants. You may try the correct specific removal utility under Windows Safe Mode.

Then reboot and manually search for "norton" and "symantec" as being part of file names and folder names. The same for the registry. Delete them and reboot yet again.

Download the latest stable version of the same edition of avast you already have. Using "run as administrator", install that version over the previous one, and reboot after the installation finishes. Please avoid testing or changing anything else before the reboot.

After the last reboot, wait 10 minutes (with no testing) and reboot yet again (firewall tools may still have some "quirks" after the first reboot). Now, after the second reboot, wait again 10 minutes before testing the resulting behaviour (you won't need to wait always, just this time, for testing purposes).

Please report back.