Author Topic: Terrible results in Removal Tests  (Read 13605 times)

YoKenny

Re: Terrible results in Removal Tests
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 03:21:53 PM »
I'm not very happy about this so what can I do, I don't mind walking up to Vlk or Igor and belt them with a baseball bat to give them a bloody huge wake up call ;D
I think you should take an anger management course.  ;D
http://www.apa.org/topics/anger/control.aspx

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 06:09:21 AM »
I think you should take an anger management course.  ;D

I've already been through that twice ;) ;D
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

dansorin

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
when avast has very good results, everybody is excited. when the test results are poor, then the tests are not relevant or wrongly conducted or something like this. let's not get our personal feelings get in the way here. when it's bad, it's bad. all antiviruses were tested the same way, so finding excuses doesn't bring anything. let's hope it will get better.

dagrev

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 12:55:02 PM »
when avast has very good results, everybody is excited. when the test results are poor, then the tests are not relevant or wrongly conducted or something like this. let's not get our personal feelings get in the way here. when it's bad, it's bad. all antiviruses were tested the same way, so finding excuses doesn't bring anything. let's hope it will get better.

Exactly.  Well said dansorin.  Avast is aware of this downward trend in legit testing and no doubt work hard to address this.  But ignoring or pretending away is simply denial.  These tests do say something.  I'm hopeful avast will fix this, I just wish version 7 which is to be the fix is out soon before avast looses its loyal (but not stupid) following.  There are many options and these kinds of results with poor detection could change their market share.  Certainly for those (like me) who pay to use the product. 

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »
Hi forum friends,

Yes, let us see this in the right perspective, please. Do not worry. It is a test theater and not the real"malcode-world". There could be just some delay on automated detections. And there could be circumstances in development that could explain that lag. DrWeb is in a similar situation with their new implementation and version coming and every user's AV experience is for better or for worse. I think avast biorythms will improve.  ;D They have to check them regularly.  :P
Remember also that avast has some spearhead technology and in some fields beats all the others (shields). I will cling to avast,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 04:07:12 PM »
I don't get excited when these AV Comparative results put us at the top of the list or,
have us at the bottom of the list. To me these tests are meaningless except from
a marketing standpoint.

What really counts for me is whether my computer is secure or not.
As long as avast! continues to protect me in the real world of computing,
I'm happy. If it does not, that's when I start to get excited.
So far, that has not happened so I'm still a happy and contented avast! user. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 05:05:06 PM »
thx Bob, that's the point.. this test result is definitely nothing to celebrate, but it's not a tragedy... all the pros and cons of the test methodology have been discussed, i don't wanna elaborate on it even more.. the only difference is probably "whether you are protected" vs. "whether you feel protected".. we can work on the first statement, the second is up to the user, after all ;)

dagrev

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 05:48:18 PM »
I am a very safe/non-risky computer user, yet in the last six months avast allowed two things onto the system.  I know nothing is perfect and don't expect that.  But the testing shows serious need for improvement and so does my "real world" experience and use.  It is what it is. 

One person's experience good or bad is actually meaningless because it could be other factors that are keeping them safe or infecting them than the AV.  But my experience is not making me feel as good I as would like. 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 05:48:28 PM »
Maxx, I agree but... there is a but...
If it is not giving you the feeling of protection is because *something* is not getting protected/detected.
This exactly point can be better. So we wish it  8)
The best things in life are free.

DonZ63

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
Frankly I am somewhat shocked by this latest AV-Comparatives Removal Test.

Avast has never been known for it's malware cleaning and removal capabilities but to come in dead last, now that bears notice.

Yes, it can be argued about testing methodolgy and the like. However, we not talking about Matousec here but a certifed AV lab. Of course most of their tests do not represent real world. If they did, zero day threats would be not having the field day they are currently having.

Again malware protection consists of two primary components, protection and removal. If either are deficient, your system is not protected.

Maybe the theorists are right; the days of conventional signature based anti-malware are over. Malware creators today are sophisticated criminal organizations employing the best in the field to generate the greatest illegal profit capable. Or they are nationalist entities engaged in cyber warfare, infrastructure disruption, and espionage. The days of the script kiddies are long past.

I have the solution. Return to IBM mainframes, dumb terminals, value added networks and pitch the Internet for e-Commerce. 8)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 08:55:37 PM by DonZ63 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 09:28:48 PM »
I have the solution.
Me too.
We're working to achieve it last 10 years together, side by side :)
The best things in life are free.

true indian

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 04:45:17 AM »
honestly,i never believe in such fake tests...what if those guys are being paid for such results  ;)

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 10:20:03 AM »
honestly,i never believe in such fake tests...what if those guys are being paid for such results  ;)

there's no conspiracy behind the test and its results.. it's a true evaluation of cleaning capabilities on a very small subset of samples, which has lower statisctical value (thus i wouldn't fraek out due to that), but may show something in particular...

btw: http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/Roel_S_back_to_the_future.pdf with this approach e.g. you'd be great AV when it comes to prevention, but terrible one in such test... even though there's something about it..

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
I think the questions we have to ask ourselves here are these...

1. How long have i been using Avast?

2. Has a virus/malware ever screwed my system beyond repair that Avast has not been able to fix it?

My answers to the above are, i have been using Avast for a number of years and no i have never had problems with viruses/malware that Avast couldn't solve.

So, i would say for me the test provided is completely irrelevant!

I also think that we all understand that no one AV is going to protect you against everything, which is why you will find that many people on here use a combination of Avast & MBAM for extra protection.

I am very happy with Avast and will continue to use :)
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

dagrev

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »
Quote from Vlk on another thread regarding detection results:
First, let me say that the recent results (especially the Oct 2011 results) don't make me too happy. You're right that avast did quite poorly, and this needs to be fixed....
...In any case, we do understand the importance of doing well in these tests (and we do even have a limited understanding of the necessity of protecting our users better against those manually downloaded malware binaries) and that's why we're making some important changes in our upcoming avast version 7, due in Q1 next year. It will be very interesting to see whether the new version will live up to its expectations. Fingers crossed.

Possibly Vlk or some else from Avast! could share some specifics on how Version 7 will better address detection and removal.  I'm optimistic about Ver 7, but would love to know at least in general terms what in the future that will inspire improved confidence.  I'm hoping that such information will keep the faithful, faithful to avast! and keep some from jumping ship.