Author Topic: What is this file for - AshWebSv.ws.ori  (Read 3347 times)

viafax999

What is this file for - AshWebSv.ws.ori
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:57:03 PM »
And how do I control it's size?
Twice in the last 3 weeks I've had to delete file AshWebSv.ws.ori when I ran out of space on the OS drive because the file reached 240GB +   !!!
I assume it's some kind of log file, but if it's size is not controllable then it makes the application basically uesless since running out of space on your OS drives cascades all sorts of other errors that affect the whole operating system of the machine once you can get it restarted.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What is this file for - AshWebSv.ws.ori
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:19:09 PM »
Were is this file located as I don't have it on my system at all ?

I only have C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\settings.ori 5KB.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 04:23:09 PM »
I found http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=36914.0 which discusses this file, but it is old and it's for Avast 4.x.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 05:21:32 PM »
Maybe you should back up your avast license file (if you use Pro/AIS) and then run the specific removal utility for avast under Windows Safe Mode. When running the removal utility, run it several times, selecting each time a different version from those you ever had in your system to remove any remnants of any version (not only remnant files but other items too).

Then manually remove any possible (hidden) files or folders that contain "avast" or "alwil" in their names.

Under Windows Normal Mode, and using an administrator account, install a clean installation of the latest stable version of avast and reboot. After the reboot, update and configure as you want / need.

Keep in mind that any item in the chest will be lost when you clean avast older installations (you can copy them to some specific backup location outside the chest before the clean up), and all configurations will be lost too (so some extra time could be needed).

If this clean up solves the problem, I'm not sure, but I guess that 240GB is worth the try.

viafax999

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 01:44:06 PM »
Am running win7 ultimatew 32bit.  Using Avast v6
File gets created in
C:\ProgramData\Alwil Software\Avast5\log
I've just been deleting it.  It is odd that it shows up in the log area for avast 5, so maybe it is some hang over from a previous version and maybe uninstalling will resolve the issue.  I too found several references to the file from years ago but none that I found said why it is being created.
I'll try a delete and see what happens

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 02:12:16 PM »
Follow my previous instructions, running the removal utility several times, for ALL previous versions of avast, including avast 5 and 6 at least, and selecting the correct folder where avast is currently installed. Do it under Windows Safe Mode.