Author Topic: avast in an inconsistent state  (Read 6997 times)

brucescism

avast in an inconsistent state
« on: December 16, 2011, 01:04:37 AM »
I run VISTA 32 on a pc.  I have for several years now been running AVAST and have the paid version loaded.  I had some difficulty with my computer related to a virus or trojan I believe and had to RESTORE.  Now that it is restored, I can't get the AVAST engine to run and I get an error message that says, "the program has been stopped, or is in an inconsistent state.  Please re-start the program ..."  When I select the restart link nothing happens.  I also tried the FIX NOW button and nothing happens.  When I say nothing, I mean the end result - I do get the dialog box that shows it's trying to launch but it doesn't change the outcome.

What is happening and is my best fix to uninstall and reinstall?  If I do that, does my paid subscription continue or do I have to start that anew as well and lose the time remaining on my year's paid subscription?

Thanks for your help, in advance. 

Bruce

mtbmiclah

Re: avast in an inconsistent state
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 01:31:28 AM »
Mine also says that it is in inconsistent state. Im on windows 7 tho and im using the free version. It does the exact same thing. Someone help!???

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 02:01:19 AM »
For safety, have a back up of your avast license file (for paid versions).

First, reboot after the repair or "fix". Solved?

If that was not enough, then download the latest stable version of the same edition of avast you currently have. Run the installation with "right click -> run as administrator". After the installation finishes, reboot, test and report back.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 02:07:32 AM »
System Restore can screw with the avast install.

Try a repair of avast:
Vista, win7 - Control Panel, Programs & Features, uninstall a program, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

You may need to reboot after the repair.

If that doesn't work a clean reinstall is probably best:
see instructions here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=84558.msg687478#msg687478.

Direct download links:
Pro AV:  - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe
AIS:     - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_ais.exe
Free AV: - http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 06:55:43 PM »
System Restore can screw with the avast install.
Indeed... Only an installation from scratch will solve the loop failure in some situations. It's a pity or shame, depends on your feelings.
The best things in life are free.

mtbmiclah

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 10:33:41 PM »
I reinstalled it from scratch and now it works like it should. That system restore causes problems I think is true because i just had done system restore to fix some other problems. Thanks!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 11:07:01 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 12:41:15 PM »
That system restore causes problems
This is what we're asking avast to solve.
The best things in life are free.