Author Topic: can Avast interfere with live messenger?  (Read 4187 times)

ellengoudsmit

can Avast interfere with live messenger?
« on: December 14, 2011, 05:17:27 PM »
Since isntalling AVAST Pro, I get messages that Windows Live messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close.  Two technicians have uninstalled and reinstalled Messenger and explorer, and their advice if it happens again is to uninstall AVAST as it may cause a conflict. Within an hour, it happened again.

I've seen that there is an issue with AVG.  Is there one with AVAST as well?  Like AVAST and don't care much for free programmes.

I run XP but it's patched.

iyogisolutions1

Re: can Avast interfere with live messenger?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 12:05:39 AM »
Hi,
   Try to repair avast!.

You can do it by going into

Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> avast! software -> Repair.

Reboot the machine and try. Post back with results.

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 01:50:45 AM »
Had you used any other security tools before avast? Have you uninstalled them? After the uninstallation, have you ran the respective specific removal utility for each so to remove any remnants?

ellengoudsmit

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 10:15:52 AM »
Hi,

I used Norton and  used AVAST for quite a while before error messages began. Shall try to repair. Thank you.

ellengoudsmit

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 12:30:17 PM »
Dear IYogi, repairing made no difference.

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »
Remove "Norton" and "Symantec" remnants. Use the specific removal utility for Norton http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/ under Windows Safe Mode. Then reboot and manually clean any (hidden) remnant files and/or folders and/or registry entries which contain "norton" or "symantec".

Then reboot again and test again. If the problem was not solved, repair avast again and reboot.

Please report back.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 01:22:12 PM »
Hi,

I used Norton and used AVAST for quite a while before error messages began.

Please run Norton Removal Tool.You can download that from the following link .

www.symantec.com/nrt

Reboot the PC .

Since the avast! repair didn't work, then we need to reinstall avast! from scratch.

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
       You can download it from http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe
2. Download the latest avast! version that you have purchased and save it.
You can download the Avast Pro 6 from the following link.
http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_pro.exe

3.Run the avast! Uninstall Utility in safe mode and restart to Normal mode.
4. Install avast! using the setup saved
5. Check the status and post back with the results.

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »
Since the avast! repair didn't work, then we need to reinstall avast! from scratch.

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
       You can download it from http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe

Please BEFORE running the removal utility for avast, have a back up of your avast license file!!!

In addition, as I mentioned before, please run the removal utility for Norton under Windows Safe Mode.

ellengoudsmit

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 09:21:36 AM »
Norton was removed using the removal tool and doesn't explain why the same error occurs on a laptop that runs a different antivirus programme and has never seen Norton. If you look at programmes on explorer, tools, you see outlook, live hotmail and live mail.  Live mail is new. I think live mail is the programme that is interfering. I'm going to have to remove messenger and look for a messenger type programme that can alert me to hotmails but isn't from microsoft. Live Essentials is probably the issue, and may be ok for Windows 7 but not for XP. (Laptop also runs XP).  Technician had rummage thro9ugh registry and wasn't bothered by Norton. After all the messages and the fact that another computer is affected, I think I can rule out antivirus. Thank you all. 

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 09:30:42 AM »
If you require a good program to bring in your emails then use Thunderbird http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/all.html

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 11:14:28 AM »
After removing Norton's remnants, I would suggest a reboot and reinstalling avast anew (and reboot again). There are possible additional settings to review after that.

Now, you mentioned Outlook and Windows Mail. One of them should be the default, and avast should recognize it.

About MS Essentials, here you might have some potential conflict with avast, as one of the optional features of it is also an antivirus, that could be in conflict with avast. So try disabling (or even better, uninstalling and removing its remnants) of the antivirus of MS Essentials. The rest of it (like Messenger) should be OK and should work correctly with avast.

Whatever you remove, try the re-installation of avast after a reboot in between, then another reboot and double check the configuration.