Author Topic: How to exclude files or directories from real-time scan  (Read 66275 times)

vegetarianmeatloaf

How to exclude files or directories from real-time scan
« on: December 16, 2011, 09:09:43 AM »
How do I exclude files or directories from real-time scanning? The only exclusion option I can find is this (screenshot): http://i.imgur.com/fBvI6.png - and it states that "Exclusion specified here will apply only to on-demand scans (manual and scheduled scans).

Is there another setting where I can exclude files or directories from real-time scans?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: How to exclude files or directories from real-time scan
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 09:16:07 AM »
Try the exclusions in the file system shield, not recommended to exclude files from real time scanning though but it's your choice.

vegetarianmeatloaf

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 09:26:07 AM »
Try the exclusions in the file system shield, not recommended to exclude files from real time scanning though but it's your choice.
Got it, and thanks for the heads-up.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 09:31:41 AM »
Your welcome  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 06:35:41 PM »
Just take into account that, in some systems, there is a bug in the exclusion list.
It will be corrected in the next program version.
The best things in life are free.

RobinHoodSnr

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:15:54 AM »
Just want to know how to exclude a SPECIFIC file, as my Avast ( ver 6.0.1367 - freeware ) only shows exclusions for folders, and NOT individual files...

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 09:01:22 AM »
Just want to know how to exclude a SPECIFIC file, as my Avast ( ver 6.0.1367 - freeware ) only shows exclusions for folders, and NOT individual files...

You can manually edit the line where the path for the exception is. So, using the "browse" button, select first the folder, and then edit the resulting path and "add" to exclusions. You can also use "*" and "?".

RobinHoodSnr

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:42:09 AM »
One last question...When Avast detects a virus, and its NOT a virus, how can i tell Avast to "accept" this and not bother me again?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
Well this topic already partially answers that question, exclusions.

But you shouldn't just use exclusions:
1. Confirm by examination (virustotal) that it is indeed an FP, this helps all avast users (see ### below).
2. If only avast and gdata detect it then it is possible it is an FP.
3. send the sample to avast for analysis and correction, this helps all avast users not just you.

###
Anything that you consider a false positive, shouldn't just be ignored (avira speak) or excluded from scans (avast), that is shooting the messenger rather than treating the problem.

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner, you can't do this with the file securely in the chest, you need to Open the chest and right click on the file and select 'Extract' it to a temporary (not original) location first, see below.

Create a folder called Suspect in the C:\ drive. Now exclude that folder in the File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add, type (or copy and paste) C:\Suspect\*
That will stop the File System Shield scanning any file you put in that folder.

####
If only GData and avast detect it - GData uses avast as one of its two scanners so counts as 1 detection and almost certainly an FP.
Send the sample to avast as a False Positive:
Open the chest and right click on the file and select 'Submit to virus lab...' complete the form and submit, the file will be uploaded during the next update.

@@@@
- In the meantime (if you accept the risk), add the full path to the file to the exclusions lists (see Note below):
File System Shield, Expert Settings, Exclusions, Add and
avast Settings, Exclusions

Restore it to its original location, periodically check it (scan it in the chest), there should still be a copy in the chest even though you restored it to the original location. When it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the File System Shield and avast Settings, exclusions lists.

Note: When using the Browse button it only goes down to folder level accept that. Now open the entry in the exclusions and change the \* to \file_name.exe where file_name.exe is the file you want to exclude.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security