Author Topic: Avast in the download charts  (Read 4081 times)

Fract504

Avast in the download charts
« on: November 22, 2004, 11:31:36 PM »
Hello all,

I use a service from the makers of getright to look each day which downloads are hot and new and frequently downloaded.
This page gives a reliable indicator. I check it daily now for nearly 2 years, so I can say this with confidence.

Check it out here:
http://www.filemirrors.com/tops.src

My problem: I miss Avast in that list!!!! And worst of all the "other" Antivirus is in it. Arrrgggg...

Seems that Avast is not that popular as it really should be.
Currently I do not have an idea how to get Avast into these charts.
Maybe a more "meaningfull" setupfile filename would be the first step? Avast45-Setup.EXE?

Any other ideas how to spread the word of avast?
If Avast would appear in this chart, it would have "made it".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 11:33:21 PM by Fract504 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Avast in the download charts
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 08:28:10 AM »
That is a very stupid list and not reliable at all. Think of it... How do you expect the people of getright to count the numbers that Avast is downloaded from the Alwil website?

Fract504

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 09:27:21 AM »
Hello Eddy,

this is the most reliable list I have ever found. But if you know of a better one, please post the URL.

As I said, I monitored this list and several web sites for a long time. The list could be a little biased, because getright is most used by real download freaks and geeks.

Certainly this list doesn't show avast downloads from the alwil website. But it gives a good overview of what kind of programs are downloaded the most at the moment.

I even googled for some Antivirus download polls and avast was never in the first place  :-\

Think about that.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 09:38:44 AM by Fract504 »

trigger

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 12:52:03 PM »
The list could be a little biased, because getright is most used by real download freaks and geeks.
No offense, but on what list is that assumtion based  :( There are loads of download managers used by download freaks.

And what is the meaning of such a list. I download a lot of software to try and than throw it away because it's useless to me. That still counts as a download, but it's not used.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 12:52:38 PM by trigger »

trigger

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 12:55:21 PM »
I just realised that probably the only real number that means something is the number of registration keys supplied by alwil and the number of download of the virus database updates, because that are used versions of the program.

Peter

Fract504

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 01:00:38 PM »
Hi Peter,

you are totally right. These download lists do not tell anything about the quality of a program.

I am just looking for ways to increase the popularity of avast. I already told the people I know about it and installed it on already 5 Machines in the last 2 weeks (friends and relatives).

But how can we spread the word on a larger scale?

I would like to see the Avast free edition on the Cds of the PC Magazines. Maybe time for some public relations activity...