Author Topic: Update problem for the laptop of my studies  (Read 2758 times)

Offline avragorn

Update problem for the laptop of my studies
« on: August 27, 2012, 06:21:45 PM »
Hello,
It is not about my home pc but about the laptop I received from the studies center where I am studying computer programing.
Well, there was another antivirus when they gave me the laptop, there was no problems for updates. I removed the antivirus and installed AVAST antivirus free edition.
But it is impossible to update the program and the infections database VPS when I am in the center. At the flat where I live during the studies, I have internet only with my mobile phone so it goes very slow, it takes much time for updates.
In the center there is a proxy that has been installed to block the sites that the french law banned, and to block the sites that people use too much and that would stop us to study as we should : facebook and youtube for example.
There is a teacher specialized into networks, internet, ... he tried to do many things to allow AVAST to get updated, but nothing works ! He tried with other antiviruses (kaspersky, norton, bitdefender, the windows antivirus - I don't remember the name, .... ) and updates work even with the proxy.
Would you know why the proxy stops AVAST updates and not the other antiviruses updates ?
It is not very important, when I have to go at least 1 hour, I launch the update at the flat, connected to my mobile phone, because it takes too much time, but if it would be possible to update with the fast connection of the center, it would be better :)

Thank you very much in anticipation :)

My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Update problem for the laptop of my studies
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:45:29 PM »
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline avragorn

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 10:40:14 PM »
Hello mikaelrask :)

Thanks for the welcome, I am an older user of the forum, I used to post here 1-2 years ago, when I still had windows xp because I had problems (windows media player that became red, ....). Now I have Windows 7 64 bits, I don't have any problems anymore with AVAST :)

Thank you very much for your help, I must say that I didn't think about it, I use firefox, all people in my studies use firefox too, and we all had to configure firefox to make it work with the proxy, so I just copied the proxy ID to AVAST, I hope it will work, I will test tomorrow in the center :)

Thank you very much again,

All the best,

- avragorn -
My configuration : Windows 7 Premium - INTEL I5 2500K - NVIDIA/MSI GTX 1050 TI 4gb - AVAST FREE EDITION 22.5.6015

Offline avragorn

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 02:11:22 PM »
Well, I tried but it didn't work. I typed the proxy details (I copied from firefox) but the AVAST updates don't work, and I can't go to internet, firefox opens but the connection is blocked :(
So I think it doesn't need to disturb you, it will never work, I will make the updates at the flat with my mobile phone.