Author Topic: Event ID 4226 and Web Shield  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Bluemeanie

Event ID 4226 and Web Shield
« on: August 27, 2012, 05:45:54 PM »
System is running Windows XP-SP3, all the latest updates as of last week. Avast is the free version of 7.0.1466. I know there's a patcher out there for the 4226's but...  I've run full scans with Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Avast (including a boot time scan) so it's fairly safe to say the system is clean. I notice them at various times of the day, but almost always in the morning when I'm looking at the news, local paper, home town paper, etc. So I started trying to eliminate things, with any success. Finally I got to where I was turning off the shields in Avast, started with the web shield and the 4226's stopped. So I started watching things. I ran TCPview, and watched the number of established connections with and without the web shield enabled and the results surprised me. Note that the number of connections vary by day and these numbers are from testing last night, on one site (the Orlando Sentinel) I had 200 connections with the shield enabled, but only 68 without it. On another site the numbers were 162 with and 33 without.  And every site I've watch has been with similar results. I can understand a small difference in the number, but to me this is a rediculous number.  Anyone have any idea why the number of established connections is that much higher with the web shield enabled?

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Event ID 4226 and Web Shield
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
hey I'm no expert one it but i think the web shield is scanning every site your visiting so because of that. it will be many connections.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Offline Bluemeanie

Re: Event ID 4226 and Web Shield
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »
I"m not an expert either, that's why I'm asking. I could somewhat understand if the number was double, but more than that boggles my mind. Does anyone have an idea why so many more connections are established with web shield enabled? Someone, somewhere has to know.