Author Topic: Setting Auto Updates to Once a Week.  (Read 12686 times)

ady4um

Re: Setting Auto Updates to Once a Week.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 05:06:42 PM »
How does that work exactly ? Is 1440 the max value that can be set effectively ?

I tried setting 10080 mins, but Avast still updates daily every time I connect to the internet lan. It would be easier if they had a simple "update once a week" option in settings. Weekly updates is alright for me. I usually manually update avast & comodo every saturday or sunday at the moment..

I don't know which value is the maximum. Avast attempts to update after the reboot (and after connecting), and then every 240 minutes. That's the default.

I would expect that the traffic would be even less when those update parameters are both selected.

If you want more control than that, then set the updates to manual, as already suggested several times.

There is no other method to change the updates' attempts frequency that we (simple users as you are) know about.

pedro_deleon

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 03:08:29 AM »

Same question here really. 
Using XP SP3, with a computer that until recently had no issues with Avast updates.
But at some point perhaps a month ago, the auto update process began to take longer and is now occasionally precluding other processes from running at their normal pace until it completes.
I boot up at 7am, and the updates are still bogging down the machine at 7:30.
I don't use this machine for web browsing or emails, just two streaming brokerage services.  Period.
So, I've shifted to manual, but would prefer to set a specific time (not interval) for the updates to be sure I don't forget.
From what I gather, there's nothing else I can do but wait for you guys to consider implementing that option.

Thx
Pedro

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 05:16:45 AM »

Same question here really. 
Using XP SP3, with a computer that until recently had no issues with Avast updates.
But at some point perhaps a month ago, the auto update process began to take longer and is now occasionally precluding other processes from running at their normal pace until it completes.
I boot up at 7am, and the updates are still bogging down the machine at 7:30.
I don't use this machine for web browsing or emails, just two streaming brokerage services.  Period.
So, I've shifted to manual, but would prefer to set a specific time (not interval) for the updates to be sure I don't forget.
From what I gather, there's nothing else I can do but wait for you guys to consider implementing that option.

Thx
Pedro
Updates are only in the kb's so they should be very quick, do you have and other security software running in the background that maybe slowing down the process ? you could also try a repair of avast via remove programs and see if that helps.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 07:52:51 AM »
Nonsense. Updating once a week or once a month makes no sense at all. We got 1 update a week 10 years ago, these days not even real-time cloud lookup isn't quite enough so why would you want to update once per week only? Saying its for performance reasons is also nonsense because those few kilobytes in total downloaded by avast! every day is nothing.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

pedro_deleon

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »
To Craig
     No.   No Norton or Symantec or any other active program.
     Trying to confirm the source of the problem has been a challenge.    This problem is sporadic, and the very process that's causing it is also preventing me from promptly viewing Task Mgr.
     I've spotted some issues with a setup.exe process and teatimer in the past, but the most recent instance was undoubtably avast.
     I simply can't afford to permit it to update first thing, when my priority is to get other services up and running.
     I'm posting here with the hope that someone will consider introducing alternatives in the auto update settings ...  to either specific times during the day, or after startup but on a xx minute delay.
     I've switched to manual in the meantime, and we'll see if I have this problem again ... which would obviously implicate something else.    I'll report back if that happens.

P

PS - these verification panes are a royal pain in the ass.     First time half the text was out of the window, so I failed the test.
Second time, system concluded that I'd already posted this reply, so it rejected it as a repeat even though it was rejected.
Who knows if this gets through.