Author Topic: Rooted phone  (Read 4456 times)

1eyedjack

Rooted phone
« on: December 18, 2011, 01:16:19 PM »
Sorry for such a basic and stupid question, but what is a "rooted phone"? I am a rank beginner at this malarky having got my first mobile phone with any internety power.  I have installed Avast mobile beta, and it keeps informing me that unless I have a rooted phone certain features (ie firewall) are disabled.

So I guess my questions are:

Can I make it a rooted phone and if so how?
SHOULD I make it a rooted phone and if I do, is there anything I can do to undo it later if I find that this was a bad move?

In particular I am conscious that this app is currently Beta, and while I am fairly confident I will stay with it I am nervous about installing apps (especially in Beta) which cannot be undone.

In case it helps, the phone is a Samsung Galaxy mini, model GT-S5570 running under Android version 2.3.4

helpdeskneko

Re: Rooted phone
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 09:44:44 PM »
On most devices the process to obtain -Root- alone is very simple.

Doing so will not void your warranty in most cases - It's a software setting, go through the Uninstall avast! steps, do a factory data reset, and root is gone anyhow.

1. Flashing a Custom ROM image with Root enabled WILL void your warranty.  :'(

2. Using newer "One Click" Root methods it is possible to Root your phone, and install avast! with the settings working perfectly. (In most cases  ::)) These same programs have the ability to remove all Root settings on the device- returning it to stock.(Do Uninstall avast! First though, without root it will not be fully functional)   ;D

3. Some phones actually prevent you from Keeping Root, and it will be lost on the next reboot of the phone.  In these cases Flashing a Custom ROM image may be your only option. This is when to start questioning the warranty.  :P

This is just advice, I won't claim them as facts - but in the case of sending your device in for warranty, you've either shattered it and have insurance - or they've found a device defect that they recall them for anyhow. Many new devices have a means of telling if the factory image was changed - this is the ROM, avoid flashing the ROM unless you have a copy of the stock image and are willing to take all the steps to get back. This will always void your warranty.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/
Can find most information on most devices there. Depending on the device it's worth doing.